EricTheNerd / 2006 Victory Red Cobalt LS / Hardwick, VT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Vehicle Showoff Vehicle profiles for Members of YourCobalt.com

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

EricTheNerd / 2006 Victory Red Cobalt LS / Hardwick, VT

Hey guys, in March I picked up a Cobalt off my local Craiglist. Got a good deal on it, considering it runs and drives awesome, but we overlooked some cosmetics that need to get fixed. No big deal! For now I've just done basic visual mods and cheap upgrades, nothing performace (yet!).

All in all, it was a really solid car and perfect for what I wanted: good gas mileage to go back and forth to college with, plus sporty, two door, five-speed, and fun to drive.

Mod List:
Exterior:
-DDM Tuning 6000k Bi-Xenon HID Kit
-LED Plate Light
-LED Headlight Strips
-Carbon Fiber Wrapped Emblems
-Refurbished low-rise spoiler

Interior:
-LED Dome Light
-LED Strip Trunk Lighting
-Red/Black eBay Seat Covers
-Power Lock Kit
-Red Carbon Fiber Vinyl Dash Wrap

Electronics/Stereo:
-AWL Venom Interior Lightbar (Red/White)
-Sho-Me Micro LED (2)
-AWL SMT3 (2)
-Whelen TIR3 (2)
-Custom Switch Panel
-Carson 1002 Volunteer 100w Siren
-Federal 100w Siren Speaker
-2 12" SDX Audio Subwoofers w/ SDX Amp
-Alpine Front/Rear Speakers

Performance:
-Soon....

The story:

Here's how she looked in the ad:

Notice the two clips hanging from underneath...

So when we brought it home and started REALLY looking at things, (we had done a test drive and very thorough inspection), we noticed a couple things off. The rear bumper had definitely been replaced, the plate light fixture was missing, it had some cigarette burns on the interior, and this summer it's gonna need some rust repair (rear of the rockers are peeling badly). But for the deal I got (and 35 miles to the gallon ) I'm not complaining!

Let the mods begin:

The first day I had it, I put in my DDM Tuning Bi-Xenon 6000k HID kit, the same one from my old car. That weekend I also did an LED Dome light, fixed the plate light and replaced that with an LED, and put in new Alpine speakers all around (Also from my old car). I got on good ol' eBay and also ordered up some red LED strips, a set of seat covers, a power lock kit, and some carbon fiber vinyl.

Being a volunteer firefighter, you'll see I also have a (permitted and legal) slick-top lightbar in the top of the windshield, I'll put up a demo of the emergency lighting in the future!

The following weekend, I put on my new seat covers and installed the red LEDs in the footwells.

Last year, a family friend of mine rolled his 07 Cobalt LS into a brook and it's been sitting in his backyard since. He's been parting it out so I went up over the weekend and picked up a bunch of parts from it for the best price of all...free! I got some trim pieces and parts, but the biggest prize was a black low-rise spoiler with only a few gouges in it! I started the process of refurbishing it and spend a few weeks slowly working on it. (I also painted a spare cupholder insert to see how it would look)

Sanded:

Primed:

And painted:

The next weekend I got the chance to work on it again for a morning, I installed power locks, vinyl wrapped the front emblem in carbon fiber, and put on a set of white LED "eyebrows".

I also got the chance to put on the spoiler!

The weekend after, I put in my Carson Volunteer 100w siren, as well as Sho-Me intersection LED's and a set of AWL deck lights along with my old SDX 12 inch subs. For more visuals, I wrapped some interior trim in red carbon fiber vinyl and vinyl wrapped the rear emblem in black cf.
Before:

After:

And close up:

Last weekend I got the chance to give her a good wash, clay and wax! I need to do something about the wheels and rockers this summer, they're getting nasty, but I think the cobalt is looking great!

Future visuals are:
Painted Headlights
Debadge Trunk
I've ordered a 4D Carbon Fiber hood wrap (to protect the paint on the front of the hood, it's starting to show signs of bubbling)
New Head Unit

And when I stop being a broke college kid and get back into making money this summer, the performance mods can start!

What do you guys think, opinions?

2006 Cobalt SS/SC

Last edited by EricTheNerd; 04-23-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Looks great! I know how it is to be a poor college kid.. but the semester is almost over so then we can really make them look nice!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Looks good but until you have retrofit headlights take out the HID's, you're just blinding oncoming traffic.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
Looks good but until you have retrofit headlights take out the HID's, you're just blinding oncoming traffic.
Yes, I know I need the retrofits, just don't have the money for them right now and love the HID's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman35 View Post
Looks great! I know how it is to be a poor college kid.. but the semester is almost over so then we can really make them look nice!
Only three weeks and I'm back to work, then the fun can really start!!

2006 Cobalt SS/SC
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Veteran

Garage
Welcome to the forum! And hey I used to live in hard wick back in 96-97. Fifth/sixth grade split class. Nice area, I had a huge pond behind my house(crystal clear water) with 100 steep steps to get down to it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd View Post
Yes, I know I need the retrofits, just don't have the money for them right now and love the HID's!

Only three weeks and I'm back to work, then the fun can really start!!
Yeah final week starts on the 5th for me. I can't wait till it's over

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wow, you wasted no time and dove right into making that 'Balt your own. It took me about 3 years to get the courage to buy an aftermarket part (TWM STS) and it's been a long, slippery and expensive slope since then lol. Can't wait till you get some power, keep it up!

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular

Glad to see another balt from VT on the forums.

Summit White 2010 Chevy Cobalt LT

Show Off- https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ry-cobalt.html
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Welcome to the forum! And hey I used to live in hard wick back in 96-97. Fifth/sixth grade split class. Nice area, I had a huge pond behind my house(crystal clear water) with 100 steep steps to get down to it.
Very cool! And yes, Northern Vermont is a great place...the town has its issues but that's small town living for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman35 View Post
Yeah final week starts on the 5th for me. I can't wait till it's over
Me either, it'll be nice to have a little cash flow coming in again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Wow, you wasted no time and dove right into making that 'Balt your own. It took me about 3 years to get the courage to buy an aftermarket part (TWM STS) and it's been a long, slippery and expensive slope since then lol. Can't wait till you get some power, keep it up!
I can't wait to get the performance going either...I've got my eyes on a very lightly used K&N typhoon intake, and a catback will be the paycheck after that! And yeah, I like making my vehicle into an extension of me, anyone can drive a stock car around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCobalt View Post
Glad to see another balt from VT on the forums.
I am too! How are the VT winter's on your 'balt? Wish the previous owner of mine took care of her like I do...

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Here's an update with some interior pictures:

Dash vinyl:

And my siren:

Sorry for the mess, haven't had the chance to vacuum!!

2006 Cobalt SS/SC
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Garage
The interior looks nice. Not really a fan of the headlights but what ev.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2006 , cobalt , custom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode