BlurpleLS / 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS / Newington,CT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Vehicle Showoff Vehicle profiles for Members of YourCobalt.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
BlurpleLS / 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS / Newington,CT

I'd like to introduce you to Veronica, my 2007 Laser Blue Chevrolet Cobalt LS.

This build thread will be the on-going process, so stay glued right here.

To keep things organized, I'll continuously update this post with mods I've done, and then have a separate post for each mod, trying to remember to take as many pictures as possible. I am an OTR truck driver, so my ability to work on my car is limited to Saturday and Sunday. That will be mostly when my threads will update, depending on what I've purchased, how quickly it arrives, and of course, my skill level.

Mods:

Exterior:

- DTMotorsports black housing, smoked OEM-style headlights
- Xentec 55W Bi-Zenon 6000k HIDs

Interior:
Engine Performance:
Suspension:
Wheels/Tires/Brakes:
Electronics:

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

I purchased Veronica on 8 January 2016, as-is from a dealership for a comfortable $5,200. I purchased her with the sole purpose of owning a Chevrolet Cobalt. No strings attached. Being as-is, there was no warranty to keep me from building her how I wanted, but it also meant that there were problems that needed to be addressed.

The Good:

Veronica is a 2.2, 5MT coupe. There was nothing more I could have asked for. Having owned a V6 full-size sedan with all the bells and whistles the last four years, it was nice to have a bare bones, no frills coupe. It meant the perfect empty canvas for my brush strokes.

The Bad:

There was damage and wear 'n tear. Not a lot, but enough to have to put mods on hold while I do some repairs. For one, the passenger headlight is smashed, and the front windshield has three lengthy cracks in it. The driver side mirror glass is smashed, as well. The rear brakes are shot, and some minor electrical issues need to be addressed. Interior is clean, but the radio only plays the rear speakers, which are both blown. The shifter is sloppy, making finding gears a bit of a brain-buster.

The Ugly:

Some people may love it, but I absolutely hate the color of Veronica. The bluish purple is just hideous. It does not suit the coupe by any means. And having a Imperial Blue Metallic Impala in my driveway, I do not want another blue vehicle.

She's also maybe a little too plain.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

The Headlights:

So, it would appear that either someone backed into the passenger headlight, or took a baseball bat to it. But it was cracked enough to have a pond and a goldfish inside the unit. The lens was cloudy from the water inside, and the headlight didn't work.

One thing to know about me. I am a headlight whore. And I mean that with all seriousness. If a new style comes out, I buy it and rock it until another style comes. How bad? I am on my fourth set of headlights for my Impala. To me, the headlights are important. A great build can be completely tarnished by a bad set of headlights. So, the headlights were the first to be fixed. I purchased a set of DTMotorsports black housing, smoked lens OEM-style units, and a set of Optic7 Xentec 55W Bi-Zenon 6000k HIDs with wiring harness. The headlights look clean, but the smoked lens reduces HID output a little more then I like.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

**NOTE** On the last photo, the passenger HID ballast decided to crap out. It was a bad unit from the beginning, with a loud humming sound. A replacement is on its way.

The Garage:

2007 Laser Blue Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2.2 / DT Motorsports black smoked OEM-style headlights / 6000k 55W HIDs

2006 Imperial Blue Metallic Chevrolet Impala LTZ 3.9 / way too many mods to list

2013 Freightliner Columbia / 6000k 55W HIDs / full LED bulb conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Forum Regular

Nice headlights, the smoked look is so much better than the ugly silver housing. HID is the way to go! May I ask how come no Halos? I had issue with my halos burning out fast and not being bright enough. Could that be the reason not going with halo?

Sunburst Orange 2006 LS Cobalt 2.2L Halo Projector LED lights Exterior/Interior, Xentec (HID kit / 8000K ), Smoked lights, Decals, K&N 69-4515TS Typhoon cold air intake system, 2.2L DOHC Tsudo N1 catback exhaust, Blacked out badges, 35% Window tint, 2" B&G Lowering Springs, DC Strut Bar, Rear Tow Hook, Painted Calipers/ Wheel drum, OBX Header, Areospeed Orange Lugnuts, Black Maxxim Air Rims, Sony CDXGT565UP Car Stereo Receiver with USB Input and Pandora Control
A lot still in progress...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
Nice headlights, the smoked look is so much better than the ugly silver housing. HID is the way to go! May I ask how come no Halos? I had issue with my halos burning out fast and not being bright enough. Could that be the reason not going with halo?
Thanks! The smoked lens are awesome LOOKING, but make the HID's pretty dull at night. Still brighter then traditional bulbs, though. I'm actually in the process of trying to contact a person who specializes in custom headlights on Facebook. He has a set of dual projector, demon-eye halo units I love, and will try to purchase from him. As far as Halos in general, I never really was a fan of them after having two sets of headlights with halos on my Impala burning out months after purchase. They seem to burn out rather quickly. For me, I prefer the LED DRL look off the newer cars today, like the Audi.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

I know it's not much of an update for the WOW! factor, but the repairing of Veronica is a priority before the mods. This weekend, I came home to a wonderful package from A1 Auto with my manual driver side mirror. It took all of ten minutes to install, using a 10mm ratchet. By far the easiest work I've done on this Cobalt.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The Garage:

2007 Laser Blue Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2.2 / DT Motorsports black smoked OEM-style headlights / 6000k 55W HIDs

2006 Imperial Blue Metallic Chevrolet Impala LTZ 3.9 / way too many mods to list

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Nice job, she'll be like new in no time.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've never heard of anyone disliking Laser Blue on a 'Balt. My G5 sedan was the same color and I loved it. Actually, the only compliment I ever got on that car from a stranger was that they liked the color lol

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
I've never heard of anyone disliking Laser Blue on a 'Balt. My G5 sedan was the same color and I loved it. Actually, the only compliment I ever got on that car from a stranger was that they liked the color lol
It's just a bit too purple for me. I feel like maybe the paint is wrong because I've seen other Laser Blue cars and it doesn't look nearly as purple as mine does. But the trunk code says Laser Blue, so I don't know.

The Garage:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode