Jerminat0r / 2007 Cobalt LS - REHAB - Page 3 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Vehicle Showoff Vehicle profiles for Members of YourCobalt.com

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
A/C is one area that I always leave to the pros, it is so easy to screw up when you don't know what you're doing. My 07 still blows knuckle numbing cold air, so unless yours leaked a bit it should too.

The connector on the HVAC module might not be pushed fully if you experience intermittent function.
Ok. Good, sound advice. I have to take it to the shop to have it inspected for registration (it is titled in MO currently). So I will have them check the A/C system.

I would like to replace the current "steelie-wheelies" with something else. Found a guy selling some plain-jane civic wheels and wondering if they would fit. I don't want to spend a lot, and the current steelies are a little bent out of shape.

04 05 CIVIC EX RIMS 4X100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Eccentric hole might be too small though.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Eccentric hole might be too small though.
Yep you were correct.

I had him measure and it was off by ~1/4".

Update on the AC controls.. So I noticed that when they don't work, the buttons on the steering wheel, and the Airbag sensor light do not work. When the controls are working, the others work as well.

So far in the past couple of days that I've tested and driven it, there have been no issues and it was working no problem. everytime I started it up.

Another note, is when this was occurring (after the battery had died and needed to be jumped), I had the "vhicle with a padlock" light come on initially when I would start it up, but the car *would* start.

Dunno if it's related, but I don't believe in coincidences....

Still have to get the windows tinted and the front door panels cleaned and re-installed and then she is pretty much back up to par!

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Hello!

Long time no post.

Cobalt has been running well and looking a lot better than she did. I took out the subs while I was troubleshooting the A/C issue and haven't put them back in.

The A/C has been really strange. If I slap on the cover to the fuse box (in the cabin, passenger side), the lights on A/C controls will blink.. on/off.

My wife drives it and she can get it to work if:

A.) she makes a sharp turn and accelerates (has to be the right timing in the combo and I can't do it but she can)
B.) it's been sitting out in the sun all day and nice and hot, then it works usually the first time, right when she's cranked up.

I almost feel like there is a wire or ground not making it's proper connection. Somewhere in that panel, but not sure what to check next.

I'll throw up some pictures later this weekend after I wash it. Gotta get some really high-grit sandpaper and get the scum off of driver-side headlight.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
I figured it out!

I feel dumb but it was, in fact, the number 10 fuse for "HVAC" causing the issue (center console / kick panel).

In my defense, the fuse was solid, not blown. And it was plugged in as far as it could be plugged in (not loose).

I pulled the whole module out yesterday (unbolted it) and then plugged everything back into it correctly and turned the car on and started jiggling the wires (thinking it was a loose wire). Nothing was giving at all.

By chance, I grabbed the module and pressed on the number 10 fuse and my wife said "Oh it's on!" (you can tell cause all the airbag lights and A/C lights come on). I let go and it went away. I started pushing on the fuses and that was the one. I pulled it out and swapped it with the number 16 fuse. It is working fine so far. No problems.

I feel dumb because I had given up previously and taken it to the shop. Paid $600 for them to diagnose it and "fix" it and it ended up being the fuse itself.

I have new SPEC-D headlights being shipped in, The current OEM lights are beyond sanding / re-finishing and I was able to get the spec-d lights for $100.

Still need to tint the windows and get some decent wheels with wider tires on it too.

I keep forgetting to take pictures! Sorry.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Alright!

I am overdue on pictures, I know.

So without more adieu, here is the (mostly) rehabbed Zippity-doo-dah:

- Newly Tinted windows
- Spyder Halo headlights installed
- All cleaned out on the inside. As good as it will get unless I completely replace all of the upholstery
- New Cabin air filter (I think the one in the picture is the one that it came with from the factory)
- Fresh oil change using Valvoline high mileage full synthetic
- Fresh brake pads up front; The shoes on the rear are surprisingly still in really good shape. This is the third time I've checked them since I've owned this car (total, since 2007) and while they are worn, they aren't nearly as worn as I thought they would be. I will probably replace them next time I replace the front pads. Front rotors are still in good shape too.
- 10" Subs in the back; New speakers in doors / rear; New head-unit (all of them cheap. $30 for all of the speakers and $20 for the head unit. 10" subs were traded to me from a friend for a case of Corona)
- All registered and titled here in the great state of Texas!

All I really have left to do (which I'm not in a rush to do) is get a new bumper cover (with fog lights), get everything touched up (paint), and get new wheels / tires.

The suspension I bought (FE5) from a user at CobaltSS is used and will probably need replacing soon-ish again. So there will be that.

As of right now I am very happy with it and it will be my daily commuter for a (hopefully) long time to come!

I will post interior pictures after I vacuum it out. I was too tired. I did the oil / brakes / tint today and then washed/detailed the outside. Then I re-pipe all of the plumbing under our kitchen sink. Been up and going since 5 AM CST (it's almost 5PM here now) so I'm kinda wiped for the day and want to relax.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by jerminat0r; 10-08-2016 at 02:53 PM.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That's a really nice clean looking sedan. I like them simple too but with a personalized touch.
jerminat0r likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
That's a really nice clean looking sedan. I like them simple too but with a personalized touch.
Thanks Coby!

It has been a lot of work to bring it back to a quasi "normal" status from where it was when I got it from my ex-wife. It was so trashed and smelled bad!

I had an IM asking me where I got the headlights, so I wanted to post it here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am about to write a review to let others who buy them know:

If you get lights where the HALO wires are red and white (instead of black and white like the rest), the white wires are negative and red wires are hot.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Does anyone know if this bumper cover would work on the LS sedan?

https://www.amazon.com/CARPARTSDEPOT...t+bumper+cover

Amazon is saying it won't fit.. But it looks like it would be a direct bolt-up to replace the current one (that is warped / busted in some spots from a literal fender-bender).

Would like to get this one, since it would give the option for fog-lights.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Cobalt Master

It will work no problem, you would also have to buy the lower grilles for it though. Might want to look into an ss front bumper as well, much cleaner looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode