Jerminat0r / 2007 Cobalt LS - REHAB - Page 4 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Vehicle Showoff Vehicle profiles for Members of YourCobalt.com

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
It will work no problem, you would also have to buy the lower grilles for it though. Might want to look into an ss front bumper as well, much cleaner looking
I like the SS front bumper covers, but there would be a lot more work and higher price involved with getting one. I could probably get a used one, but depending on it's condition I would need to put in some time with getting it cleaned, clear, and ready for paint. This one I linked it already ready for paint (will be keeping the current "Champagne" color). I need the whole car to be touched up. It has various scratches, minor dents, etc so I was going to get that all taken care of at the same time.

Also thinking of these wheels (the picture shows 5-bolt pattern, but the description says 4 bolt at 4x100). Am I OK to go with 17" wheels or should I only go 16" max? Do I need to pick a wheel that has an offset at all if I go bigger?

What general size of tire am I going to need to run if I go with the larger wheel?

https://www.amazon.com/Konig-Black-W...x100+17+wheels

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Since it's obvious I am going to be keeping the Coby-jack for a while, I went ahead and ordered some more stuff for it:

- LED turn indicator bulbs with corresponding resistors (to eliminate hyper-flash)
- Kenwood KFc-6995PS 6x9 speakers for the rear deck
- Moog swaybar bushings

I changed out the brake pads the other weekend and noticed the sway bar bushings were severely beat up. So I grabbed these and will replace them this weekend.

Still trying to find a good deal on the wheels, but thinking I should get the suspension in-line first.

Also been reading up on switching to a 5-lug wheel, as there appear to be more options (including the SS based wheels, which I think look the best honestly).
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Last night I swapped out the rear deck speakers with the new kenwoods. Dumb me, I went about also installing the the new LED turn signal lights (and resistors) immediately after.

The driver-side LED swap was successful, but when I went to change the passenger side, I noticed the housing for the bulb was slightly different. I hooked up the resistor and tested it and no go. the light wouldn't light up at all. I pulled the driver-side out and swapped the LED bulbs and confirmed the LED bulb is good. All I can think is that the housing doesn't like this LED bulb. It is not like the driver-side house for the bulb. When I first went to install it back in the headlight the first time, the LED bulb fell out and into the headlight.. I had to fish it out carefully with some needle-nose. I took the resistor off (these things get WAY hot by the way) and re-installed the original bulb and it worked, so I dunno.

Driver-side with LED:

Passenger side with standard bulb (not amber):

So when I went to test the new speakers, the radio doesn't even come on. Has me scratching my head.

Before, when it was working, I would have to put the lights to "manual on," for the radio to stay on. Otherwise, when you started the car, it would turn off after about 10 seconds if left on Auto-lights. Any ideas?

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Well the radio quit working completely and only fix was to pull battery cable for the car and let it sit for 5 or so minutes and then re-attach it. Then the radio would work the first time I used the car after that but not work again.

So I replaced it. I also took the opportunity to install a backup camera. The backup camera was one of the more complicated things I've had to setup so far, to be honest. When I ran wires for sub / amp, the car was stripped completely on the inside so it was way easier (up the middle console).

I ran the video cable for the backup camera through the trunk, under the seat, under the driver-side plastic molding, under the dash, to the head unit. I wired power and signal to the driver-side reverse light:

I got the wrong dash kit (for 95-2001) because I wasn't paying attention when I ordered it, so that is why there is a "gap" on the head unit. I will fix this soon, but for the time being, it works fine:

I really wanted an android head unit, but the wife is on me about spending and so I had to make-do with a non-android unit. But it works tons better than the one I had and it actually turns on, so that is a plus. Still have the issue where the lights have to be manually turned on, for it to stay on however. Still scratching my head on that one.

I don't have any more pics of the backup camera install, unfortunately. I was doing it by myself and was using my hands a lot so didn't have opportunity to get any decent pictures.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Hey everyone!

Long time, no post - Sorry!

Holidays are a rough time around my house. Lots of birthdays and family to see and spend time with.

Also found out that wife is pregnant! So that has been busy trying to get everything ready.

Cobalt was badly in need of new suspension. I bought used suspension when I initially got the car back from my ex-wife, in order to get the SS springs. I bolted up the used suspension struts / shocks because they were still better than the OEM FE1 suspension that was in it (and 100k miles old).

I ordered these parts from Amazon and got them installed last night.. Man what a difference in the ride! I totally forgot how smooth the ride can be in this car!

Unfortunately, my pushing this off until now has caused the front tires to wear terribly. So I will have to pick up a new pair and then I will go get a proper alignment done to compensate for the new SS springs and suspension parts.

I hope I bought the right struts and shocks, cause if not I will be changing them again much sooner than I would like according to what I've read:

Strut Mounts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear Shocks:

Front Driver Strut:

Front Passenger Strut:

Took me 6 hours to get it all installed (did it after working 9 hours yesterday). I was completely wiped afterward. Disassembling the old struts without a spring tensioner proved.... tricky.. but I managed to get it done without shooting the strut through the CV boots or the engine bay.

Excited to get the new tires and alignment done, but it will have to wait until the check after next.

C-YA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode