Jerminat0r / 2007 Cobalt LS - REHAB - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Vehicle Showoff Vehicle profiles for Members of YourCobalt.com

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Post Jerminat0r / 2007 Cobalt LS - REHAB

Hello!

This Cobalt has a lot of history. My ex-wife and I bought it brand new in 2007 with some help from her parents. We had a new baby and this was a good starting car for us.

Fast forward to 2013 and 6 years of mis-trust, cheating (not me...), and degrading relationship and we divorced. She fought for and got the cobalt in the divorce. Fast forward again to the beginning of March this year (2016) and not only did I get the Cobalt in the end, but I am doing her a favor by taking it. God is good!

Anyway. The car is trashed:

- Front seat belts are still locked from an accident I was in at the end of 2012
- Interior carpet is just.. nasty.
- Interior seats have a multitude of stains; I've honestly seen better conditioned seats in the junkyard (proof in the pictures!)
- Hole in the flex-pipe for the exhaust causing O2 sensor error code
- Tires are worn; Steel rims are bent
- Shocks/suspension is COMPLETELY shot. It doesn't sit evenly when parked, even
- etc, etc, etc.

Here are some pics to start with:
Pile of junk from the trunk

Back bench seat:

Floor / cupholders (rear):

etc:

Link to the IMGUR Album (Album will be updated as I go):
Colby-Jack Rehab

More posts to come.

Last edited by jerminat0r; 03-18-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: picture links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Cobalt Master

Wow, that is absolutely filthy!
Any questions you have about getting it fixed up don't be afraid to ask! Plenty of knowledgeable people on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Contributor

Garage
here is a link for a quality flex pipe that is an upgrade and is fairly cheap too.

Flex Pipe Replacement - Exhaust

i put one of these on my cobalt, it was easy and quick, had a buddy of mine weld it. it didnt take much and is an upgrade from the stock which splits over time.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
Wow, that is absolutely filthy!
Any questions you have about getting it fixed up don't be afraid to ask! Plenty of knowledgeable people on here
Hey thanks! I've got a nice, fat bookmark folder full of links (a large majority of them from here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_man View Post
here is a link for a quality flex pipe that is an upgrade and is fairly cheap too.

Flex Pipe Replacement - Exhaust

i put one of these on my cobalt, it was easy and quick, had a buddy of mine weld it. it didnt take much and is an upgrade from the stock which splits over time.
I didn't get a performance part, but an OEM-grade replacement. it was $35 on ebay and I already have it ready; gonna drop it in on Saturday.

I have more pictures, but imgur is not letting me add them to the album after I shared it.

Tonight I will be installing the new head-unit, front speakers, and sub-amp.
Tomorrow will be the new flex pipe and cleaning the carpet.

I already have new front seat belt assemblies and the rear bench seat (got all three from salvage yard for $100). Only downside is they are "grey" and not the original "tan".

If my fiance' tells me she wants to sell her Trailblazer, then I will focus the rest of my work on stuff I want for it, versus stuff to resell it. I still don't really care about performance as I will be using it as a DD and just prefer comfort / MPG. But if we end up keeping it, then I will probably at the least do CAI (using the K&N drop in now) and possibly upgrade exhaust manifold / downpipe.

I have to fix the flex now, as I am on a time-crunch to register it and to do that it needs to pass inspection.

When I get done installing the new seat belts, will the seatbelt error on the HUD clear or will I need a dealership to reset it?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Contributor

Garage
for pictures your better off using photobucket to post stuff, thats what i do

as far as the parts i can understand the need to not put a ton into it if you might end up getting rid of it, smart move!

as far as the seat belt code, coby might know, ive never had to replace something like that so idk lol, most vehicles i have experience with are 80's and older, not many have those issues.

Quote:

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Last night I replaced the rear 6x9 speakers. Here's a pic of the back cover pulled out. Speaker on right is the new one, on the left is the factory one. (blurry sorry, fiance' took the pic):

Engine bay pic from passenger side. Mainfold cover is long-gone. You can see all kinds of debris (leaves, dirt, "pollen" etc) just sitting on the engine. This was before I sprayed it out:

The hole in the flex pipe:

The passenger side seatbelt bolt was stuck. It almost messed up my T50 hex bit. I ended up having to drill out the head of the bolt and then used pipe-wrench to finish unscrewing it:

New speakers for the front, and head unit. Nothing fancy, just need to work and have BT:

More posts to come as project progresses.

Thanks for watching!

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Hmm..

Found these locally:
Stance Coilovers for Cobalt and HHR

Wonder if they would work in the LS base?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Cobalt Master

Any coilovers for a cobalt will fit, base and ss take the same ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Contributor

Garage
nice boss speakers, i have a set in my balt they are an ok brand

Quote:

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob5382 View Post
Any coilovers for a cobalt will fit, base and ss take the same ones
Nice! I will see if maybe he wants to trade. I have some bang-bangs laying around that aren't being used and collecting dust.

Also found a guy selling a set of rear shocks for an SS (ACDelco NIB) for $50. I sent him an email and waiting for a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_man View Post
nice boss speakers, i have a set in my balt they are an ok brand
Yeah! Gotta be better than the stock ones. I have subs for bass, and at $15 per pair, it was an easy choice for a cheap replacement.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Garage
Alrighty! Late post.

I just finished the stereo install. I couldn't use the front door brackets I ordered as I dont have a dremmel and had to install these today due too time-line.

I installed the back speakers last night, no issue. The plug adapters came in today so I plugged up the rear speakers and tested them with stock head unit; working fine

Fiance' and I went about removing the door panels (the manual windows are tricky. She was better at getting the little "clip" on the window rollers than I was, for sure) and the old stock speakers. The passenger side speaker was literally crumbling where it sat.

Since I couldn't use the brackets I ordered, I used a dry-erase marker to mark 4 holes with the new speaker mocked up. I drilled holes in those marked spots and used the provided screws / bracket thingies to secure the speakers in the doors.

Tested all of them with stock head unit; working!

Disconnected negative battery terminal and went about removing stock head unit; installed dual-din bay adapter and new single-din unit.

The antenna adapter I got is apparently wrong, so I will have to get a different one.
Whoops..

Since I had all of the plastic pieces of the center console, the passenger seat, and the rear bench seat already removed, running the remote wire (which I tapped into the wiper fuse) and the RCA cables was pretty easy.

I mounted my MTX 450w amp to the back of the rear driver-side seat.
Put my box with dual 10's in the trunk and finished wiring everything up

Tested new head unit using Bluetooth and my phone (playing Pandora)

Result: not bad at all for a ~$120 system. (the subs cost me a case of corona about 6 months ago, haha!)

I will edit post and add pictures later. It's after midnight here and I've been going at this since I got home from work @5:30.

Goodnight!

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I forgot to add:

I found someone locally selling NIB Cobalt SS rear shocks (he got them for his 2005 but sold it before he installed them).

The part number on the box is 22728821.

I have looked it up and this is a GM part number for SS rear shocks.. Just can't tell if this is FE5 or FE3? Or does the FE5/FE3 not apply to the rear shocks but only the front struts?

Will these shocks lower my rear end at all?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode