Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
So I’m at a debate wether it’s time to trade in or not. I have had my cobalt for 10 years and it’s at 180k miles. Yesterday when I was driving my engine seemed to slow as if it were losing power. The RPMs dropped from around 3500 to 2000 and then it picked back up. My check engine light came on immediately after and when I had it checked today it threw all kinds of codes up. Im not sure which would be responsible for power loss or if even worth trying to DIY it like I’ve done in the past.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’m sorry to read about your troubles. Let me start by saying this, 10 years and 180k miles is a good run. If you decide to DIY it I would start with the P0010 code. Some of those other codes could be ghost codes related to the P0010, however the transmission codes I’m clueless about. Possibly a bad EMC/TCM?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sorry to read about your troubles. Let me start by saying this, 10 years and 180k miles is a good run. If you decide to DIY it I would start with the P0010 code. Some of those other codes could be ghost codes related to the P0010, however the transmission codes I’m clueless about. Possibly a bad EMC/TCM?
Haha yeah it is a good run, but I’m the type who doesn’t like a car note .. both cars, my ‘08 Jeep (59,000 miles) and the ‘09 cobalt have been paid off for years.
you thinking it may just be cam/crank shaft sender malfunction ?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Now that you have logged your errors and saved them. Reset / clear them, take a short test drive and check for errors again.
I also would look at the cam possitionn sensor connector and wire back to the ecm for chafes and abrations. Reseating the connectors a couple of times may break the oxides that may create an open circuit causing the initial error.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that you have logged your errors and saved them. Reset / clear them, take a short test drive and check for errors again.
I also would look at the cam possitionn sensor connector and wire back to the ecm for chafes and abrations. Reseating the connectors a couple of times may break the oxides that may create an open circuit causing the initial error.
The cam position sensor and wire harness replaced.. all codes reset and test drove around 100 miles today. No engine issues and only one code came back for the 02 sensor. That will be next up on list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cam position sensor and wire harness replaced.. all codes reset and test drove around 100 miles today. No engine issues and only one code came back for the 02 sensor. That will be next up on list.
Just be aware that multiple codes at once like that can be a sign of a failing timing chain tensioner or guides. Might be worth getting professional diagnostics done before real mechanical damage is done to that engine.

Good news is engine swapping a cobalt is easy and you can probably find a used engine for under 800 that still runs great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts