Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to keep the car that i have and possibly the engine that is currently in the car. The engine I have is in really good shape and only have 34k miles. I would love to keep the engine and only change a few things to it and the harness itself. What do i need to make my 05 2.2l tunable. Can I just take the block and other things from a 07+ 2.2l and swap it over to my 05 2.2l? Getting all the newer computers and whatever else i need? I just want to know if it is possible and what i would need. Id love to keep my current cobalt but also want to add some power to her!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Your best bet if you want to keep your car and engine and make it tunable is to go with a standalone ecm. If you really want to swap it to 07+ ecm you need to swap engines and harness and computer for sure, possibly fuse block and maybe even the bcm and tcm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your best bet if you want to keep your car and engine and make it tunable is to go with a standalone ecm. If you really want to swap it to 07+ ecm you need to swap engines and harness and computer for sure, possibly fuse block and maybe even the bcm and tcm.
What could you tell me about doing a stand-alone? If not much could you point me into the right direction of things?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The only cobalt I know of with a standalone ECM is a highly modified 05 or 06 2.2l running an aem infinity ecm. Honestly I dont know much about it and you would have to do some research into it. What are your plans for the car if you can get it tuned anyways? Realistically without boosting it you really wont get much power over stock to justify the cost and work to be able to tune your car.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you want to swap from the 05 stuff to the 07+ you will need a full donor for the entire electrical system. Not only is the engine and Engine harness different, but the ECU and interior wiring behind the dash is different. Easiest way is going to be buying an 07+ as the AEM stand alone he is talking about is not an easy swap. There have only been a few to attempt it, but one 2 or 3 people have successfully done it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hey I never said it would be easy, but it's the only way to keep the car and engine he has and be able to tune it. I personally would keep an eye out for either a cheap ss or an 07 or 08 2.2l but take it from me you would be much better off financially just buying an ss from the start for any real power. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of building and boosting a 2.2l though I'll be more than happy to help spend your money lmao

1 - 6 of 6 Posts