Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an 05 base cobalt and the trunk doesn’t want to open with the key, emergency release in the trunk works, button release in car works. I just can’t do it with my key in the lock. This just started a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Only thing I can think is the lock cylinder has gone bad. you can try to get an new one and have it set to you key.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are plastic components at the end of the key cylinder and also in the trunk latch. I would try and take the latch out and use some white lithium grease to relubricate the components. You may find the plastic has come apart and is jamming the lock cylinder. If the whole cylinder is bad, you’ll spend around $150 with a locksmith. They can key a new cylinder to match the original key. Also, does the power trunk release work? If it doesn’t I wonder if that may be affecting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are plastic components at the end of the key cylinder and also in the trunk latch. I would try and take the latch out and use some white lithium grease to relubricate the components. You may find the plastic has come apart and is jamming the lock cylinder. If the whole cylinder is bad, you’ll spend around $150 with a locksmith. They can key a new cylinder to match the original key. Also, does the power trunk release work? If it doesn’t I wonder if that may be affecting it.
The power release works, it almost seems like the key doesn’t go in all the way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, that does sound more like a problem with the actual lock cylinder. As if the pins inside are binding and not moving when the key is pushed inside.

I see the lock cylinder is about $80 on Rockauto. And the way it’s sold, it has to be set to an existing key by a locksmith. I’d estimate they would charge you between $40-$75 to rekey. I really don’t know what the rate is just for setting up a new key cylinder. I know to have my ignition cylinder keyed and programmed will run about $130. It’s not terribly expensive. Not sure if you can just buy a key cylinder that’s already set up and comes with a key. That would be easier but would then have a separate key just for the trunk.

If you haven’t already tried using some spray oil inside the key hole, you might just try that and see if it will free up. Something like WD-40 will work and not damage the surrounding paint if it drips. But you’ll need to use something that doesn’t evaporate afterwards since WD-40 will dry up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I agree with Cody WD-40 will loosen it up - but yes you have to lubricate it with something else afterwards WD will freeze everything up after it evaporates - helped a few people that put WD-40 in their locks - rusts them up inside after some time - water displacement - dries out all the lubricant too
They make lock lubricant - with graphite or Teflon - if you can free it up, with the money you save on the cylinder - buy the stuff for locks usually under $5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after using lubricant for a couple days and some forced it went in all the way and unlocks now.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
good to hear

·
Registered
157 Posts
I could swear I have seen a specific lock lube spray at Lowe’s or Home Depot that would be easy to just spray in there every now and then. I know mine needs to be oiled, although I usually use the button inside the car. I have used the powdered graphite type also. Usually is a bit messy though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts