Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im running a 2005 black 4 door chevy cobalt..

CURRENT UPGRADES
-New halo tech led headlights
-2 12" JL Audio Subwoolfers
-Rocksford Fosgate Amplifier
-Pioneer Deck
-4 New speakers, front and rear
-KN Air Filter

Currently researching engine mods...i need help knowing what the first mod should be...
if anyone can help let me know..thank you

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
definately turbo first :wink: but ya definately go intake first

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree, intake or exhaust.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That all depends what you want out of your car, what you want it to do, or not. Tell us what you are desiring and we can maybe give you some reasonable advice. :)

hey everyone, im running a 2005 black 4 door chevy cobalt..

CURRENT UPGRADES
-New halo tech led headlights
-2 12" JL Audio Subwoolfers
-Rocksford Fosgate Amplifier
-Pioneer Deck
-4 New speakers, front and rear
-KN Air Filter

Currently researching engine mods...i need help knowing what the first mod should be...
if anyone can help let me know..thank you

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
but if its one or the other, at least an intake helps ur mpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
i use to have a 05 cobalt ls and i went wth a cold air intake then got a exhaust. i say cai first bc if u get up on the gas it sounds good lol but if u lay off the gas it can save u some milage

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
welcome to the site!
i agree with john. set a long term goal for what you want to do. show, luxury, straight line speed, turning machine etc...
also model would help with the advice.
im gonna say lower though. IMO suspension is a good place to start modding. you can do that, and figure out your power goals in the process.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks to all who replied..im definately considering an intake upgrade however i also think its wise to go with an exhaust system upgrade first...thanks red

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
btw...
basically what i want to do with my car is enhance its overall performance..im not fully concerned with outter appearance at this point like many others...my car is fine on the outside, and the audio is extremely satisfying, so at this point, im just trying to improve my cobalts performance internally.

more speed, more torque, more hp, better sound..

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well then, you have to determine how much more performance you want...do you want NA or FI? Do you want to do just basic bolt-ons or do you want more...do you want to go FI in which case you need a turbo setup or SC setup.

What are your long term goals other than "more performance"...how do you want to get there and what is a number goal you have in mind? 150whp, 175whp, 200whp, etc.?

For me, I'd just like to see 150whp, but I won't get there on my planned mods at the moment which are Injen intake (CAI setup), header, dp, LSJ cat-back, tune. Being an auto, I will likely need a 2.4 mani and tb and a few other things. I am not willing to put too much into my car for performance as I care about handling.

Sportlines, SS/TC struts/shocks, OTTP rear street sway bar, ARK strut bar (I know...doesn't help...don't care), TTR engine and tranny mounts, possibly more down the road...I have the Sportlines and ARK STB on right now...OTTP rear sway is waiting to be installed. SS/TC shocks and struts will be purchased by the end of this year or early next year. I also have a pair of OTTP Steering rack spacers that I'll put on at the same time as the struts and shocks since I'll need another alignment. I'm also waiting on my Hawk HPS pads and Powerslot rotors...I'll order SS brake lines later. I have good tires on my steelies now, but when they wear out, I will upgrade wheels and tires. As you can see for my "performance"...it's all about the handling of the car.

So you see, you need a set goal and not something generic like "more power".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im saying..i want more horsepower out of my car..

speed.

its simple..
not generic

·
Registered
720 Posts
im saying..i want more horsepower out of my car..

speed.

its simple..
not generic
You're not getting it...I'm saying HOW MUCH do you want? What you want determines what to go with...

Let's say you want 200whp. I'm going to say forget the intake that gCobalt listed. You will have to spend WAY TOO MUCH MONEY $$$ on your car to get that power NA. I'd say get an exhaust system to start with and start finding supercharger parts.

Do you see where I'm coming from? There's no point in doing basic bolt-ons that will come off if you want real power in the future. You'll spend more money that you need to and you'll lose a lot of it trying to sell used aftermarket parts.

I'm just trying to give you good advice, but you aren't understanding.

Make a plan of what you want from the car and then we can suggest what to do.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The following is a good starting point for anyone (but especially if you have no plans for FI):

intake
header/dp
cat-back exhaust
2.4 mani
2.4 tb (requires tune to use)
tune
cams
suspension components
engine mount
tranny mounts

There's a lot more, but those are things that will help you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.