Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Cobalt, bought it cheap because the car is severely acting up! Its an auto and has 158k miles... what its doing:

first of all the car has no power steering, the CEL is on but a code reader will not connect so I cannot check codes (tried 3 different stores), the transmission shifts violently and jerks, car stalls out at red lights, and the shift lock randomly clicks - more so when you have your foot on the brake... oh and also the mph and rpm needles bounce up and down erratically. WHAT IN THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS THING? lol

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
For stalling I'd first check the oil then fuel lines, filters, pumps etc. could have a clogged line or bad pump. Or it could be super low on oil and that's why it stalls

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I assume you checked all fuses. If you can't read codes your "PCM" has no power. Check ground between "PCM"and engine G105.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
At a minimum, I'd have my oil changed and transmission inspected/fluid changed. As for your power steering, contact GM. There was a power steering recall for 05+ Cobalts.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by your "shift lock randomly clicks"?

You may also want to pony up $30 to do a vehicle history check on your car to check for accidents or floods. It might help diagnose issues.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't pay for that check!

Go to a dealer and tell them you are car shopping. Say that you are looking at a very good deal on a cobalt. Steer the convo towards car fax and they will most likely ask you if its been carfaxed. They can type in the vin and bring up the car fax for free.

If you don't mind talking to sleez ball for a few minutes this is a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Don't put TOO much trust in Carfax.......they only report what the dealerships & insurance companies tell them, which may not tell the whole story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.