Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried out my new radio set up in my fiances 05 cobalt. It's a base model, no bose, no onstar. Used the metra wiring harness for cobalts. Didn't buy the $100 interface cause I was under the impression I didn't need it.

With everything hooked up, the gauges don't work, abs traction control and brake light are illuminated, and the mileage display is dashed. Also no sound comes from the radio but it turns on and works.

Do I need that interface after all?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an 06' balt and it did require the interface when i installed my aftermarket head unit. Seeing the 05 and 06 have the same stock head unit I believe it is safe to assume that yes the interface is needed.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
You cut into the wrong dark green wire....I believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't cut into the factory harness if that's what you're thinking.

My buddy has a gm2000 interface laying around. Think that'll work?

·
Registered
91 Posts
i'd go over everything and make sure its hooked up correctly, i have base 06 and didnt need an interface or anything to hook up a aftermarket head unit

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'd go over everything and make sure its hooked up correctly, i have base 06 and didnt need an interface or anything to hook up a aftermarket head unit
I have same '06, no frills, aftermarket radio/cd player. Where did you grab switched 12 volts from (did you use a fuse tap adapter)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The install kit had a tab that slid right onto the fuse. I used the sunroof location. I thought it was odd that there was already a 20A fuse there when the car doesn't even have a sunroof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The install kit had a tab that slid right onto the fuse. I used the sunroof location. I thought it was odd that there was already a 20A fuse there when the car doesn't even have a sunroof.
Mine has a 20A fuse in a space marked "AMP." I assume that would be for a radio poweramp when car doesn't actually have one? I'll have to get a test light to check circuits, I guess. Everything was OK until I had Chevy install recall ignition switch...what a freakin' hassle that was. They will not look at problem with an aftermarket radio power hookup as system was originally tapped into brown wire at pink connection block below fuses...this connection now has no power when key on as it did before recall repair...must find alternative connection. Everything else in car is working fine (wipers, fan, heat/cool, turn signals, etc.) Yet I am leary about fiddling around at fuse block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm trying to use a friend's gm2000 interface he gave me from his grand am. i guess i'm confused by the yellow and red wires. i'm really good at over thinking things which in turn makes me second guess stuff. i think the radio side harness says the yellow is battery(why isn't it red?) and red is ignition. and the harness the red says nothing and the yellow says +12. what a major pain in the ass this is. i installed my radio in my 89 trans am in 15 min. that was a sinch

·
Registered
37 Posts
I to have the same issue I just installed an aftermarket stereo in an 05 using the metra harness and have no instruments. I did use a fuse tap from the moon roof for the red wire. Did you ever solve this any ideas what went wrong?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found my problem or my stupidity I took the fuse out for the instrument cluster to use in my fuse tap thinking that was a spare fuse. Everything on the new head unit is now working fine no interface used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.