Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a deployment and my wifes car doesn't shift out of park. She just left it in the driveway and used my truck while I was gone but I would like to fix her car and get my truck back now. The key goes in fine and the car starts. When the brake pedal is pushed you can here a 'click' from inside the shift lever but it doesn't unlock. The Haine's manual I picked up today from the Autozone down the road is useless. I have been told there is a shift lock relay that is probably bad. Any help would be appreciated as to what the cause may be, how to troubleshoot it, and if there is a way to over ride it just to get the car moved. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think this is one of those problems where you just need to take it to the dealer....and that's all the owner's manual says. There is no way to go around the shifting mechanism if it can't be shifted out of park.

Sorry can't be of any help....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem..my dealer fixed it. It is a service bulletin from GM. So it should be covered even if your warranty is gone. The fix is the dealer will put a new shifter in the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.