Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car pulls to the right only when turning right. It feels like the steering gets tighter then looser as your turning making the car sway and you have to be going at least 45mph for this to happen and the faster you go from there the worse it gets. I have all new tires, struts, shock absorbers, tie rods and ends, sway bars and just had it put into alignment. One shop I had look at it said it was the struts that's when I got them replaced. Well it was still happening so I took it back they said they couldn't find anything wrong. So I took it to a retired mechanic friend who said he feels what I'm talking about but he looked the whole car over nothing he could find is wrong. So his guess was the alignment or tires. So I took them to another shop to have tires put on and a alignment done. But when they looked at it they claimed the struts are binding that the other shop screwed it up putting them in and want to put new ones in there. I took it back to my friend he said no their not binding at all the other shop was just trying to rip me off. Not sure what's going on with it or where to take it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you’re getting a binding type of problem, the best bet to check it is start by disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles. Then you can isolate the binding. It can be the rack and pinion, strut mounts, or even a ball joint. I often see cheap ball joints do this.

Just for comparison, I currently have a ‘65 Mustang at my shop with a similar problem. The car has an aftermarket power steering rack and pinion. It is adjustable. The previous owner had probably tried adjusting it and screwed it up. It makes it pull left.

Ive had my Cobalt about two years now. And I have had a problem with the steering. I have asked my boss what he thinks about the noise it’s been making, he had no idea. But after the two years it’s started to cause a vibration at highway speeds. It really isn’t loose. It seemed like the inner tie rod ends are bad. But upon a closer look the rack gear is loose, it moves up and down. This has been a problem on a lot of the Cobalts I’ve worked on over the years. Also seen this on the Malibus with electric power steering with manual rack. It is sometimes difficult to diagnose, but I can almost always bet the rack is bad and needs to be replaced between 120,000-140,000 miles. This seems to be when they wear out and start causing problems. Your mechanic will have to closely look at the rack and shake the tire with a lot of force to get see if the rack gear is moving. The rack gear is attached to the inner tie rod end. A lot of times the inner tie rods get replaced thinking they will fix this. Even if they’re worn out, many times the rack is also bad. The rack and pinion assembly comes with new inner tie rod ends and boots.

Also you may want to inspect for any loose parts. I often have other mechanic shops bring me cars for alignments. Often times they are unfamiliar working on suspension or steering parts and leave things loose. A lot of horrible mechanics out there. Very frustrating having to go over other peoples work to find they did a shit job putting things together.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I might also mention I have seen brand new strut mounts being bad right out of the box. And more so on the “quick strut” type struts that come with the spring and strut mount all together. I’ve had lots of those be bad and don’t find out until after they’ve been installed. Usually they will make a pinging like sound from causing the spring to bind, then free up suddenly. And will cause a sound while turning. Also may cause the car to pull one way or the other while driving.

Also in some cases reusing an original strut mount I’ve had that happen. For whatever reason the bearing will fail. Not too often unless the car was wrecked or something. Or installed incorrectly. The strut bearing can come loose of the mount on the Cobalt. It can be mispositioned and possible crushed I suppose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts