Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '05 Cobalt 4spd auto. It has 106K on it now. I have had no real issues with it since original purchase. I now have a lifter 'tick' that never "pumps up" it seems. My question is this - are the lifters on this motor hydraulic? It's 2.2L. I use Valvoline maxlife 5-30wt. Can I just adjust it?
Also does anybody know about a service bulletin for "clunking" in the front end when going over bumps slow or at speed? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't know about the lifters BUT...

The clunking is probably your lower control arm vertical bushings. I've replaced mine twice. Once @ 13,000 miles and again @ 27,000

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
when does the tick happen, on start up, or all the time? the timing chain tensioner is hydraulic, and u are probably at the milage to change it. might want to start there, its like a $40 dollar part. and is the easiest fix on this car if you get the upated tensioner. pull old one out put new one in, and torque to 55 ft lbs. Ecotec Timing Chain Tensioner 12608580 - Crate Engine Depot
and yes this car has hydraulic lash adjusters. not sure if you could adjust a tick out though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.