Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cobalt started leaking oil Friday. I dropped the oil pan yesterday and replaced the seal. Filled oil back up and drove around the block a few times. Leak has returned. It is not the oil pan. It is above the oil pan and more towards the left. Any Ideas? Crank Shaft Seal?

See Arrow pointing at the gap behind the bolt with oil on it...

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

[/url][/IMG]

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Can you take a shot that is a little less zoomed so we can see more clearly where youre talking about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is further back. The oil appears to be running down the walls. Just behind the exposed gear/flywheel on the drivers side of the engine.

[/url][/IMG]

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
How can I confirm rear main seal leak?
Pull off transmission inspection cover, spray rear of engine with degreaser, let sit for 10 minutes, spray off with water, drive the car for a little bit (usually around 50-100 miles), then recheck with inspection cover off. If it's leaking there, you have a leak there, if not, then it's not. That is the easy way.

Or you can buy the oil dye, put it in the system, drive for 100 miles and use a black light and look for where the dye is coming out of. that is another way of doing it.:blink1:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Anything you do will only slow it down if its a rear main seal. May aswell just buy the seal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How difficult of a job am I looking at to reach the seal? Do I have to drop the whole transmission or is there a short-cut to access its location? I don't exactly have easy access to a lift. I've seen where someone pulled the engine out of the top and it only took them 2hrs. Would that be easier to access the seal?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Pulling the motor and doing the seal and installation was no 2 hr job. You need to pull the transmission and flywheel to change the seal. Save yourself the hassle of trying to find a nonexistent shortcut and just pull the trans

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.