Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

05 to 07 stock radio install

12K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mind4engineering 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I know it's weird and somewhat cumbersome to do this, but I'm doing it anyway as the CD player int eh 05 simply stopped playing CDs, recognizing CD or anything CD related it just barfs the CD back out. I don't care anymore and I'm tired to trying to fix it so I bought an cobalt 07 stock radio and want to change the older 05 radio out for the 07.

In doing so I discovered that the wiring harness isn't the same but I've ordered a new wiring harness and theoretically it shouldn't be hard to cut the wires and splice them into the new harness. I've also discovered that the antenna plug is different.

now, I did notice that the 05 model radio was an AC Delco (Delphi?) and the 07 is a Panasonic.

The new radio is model number 22714657 SN 122013 (and I DO have the VIN of the vehicle it came from for unlock code purposes)

I have several questions:

What if any, things shoudl I be aware of in doing what I'm about to try and do?

How do I covert the existing antenna harness to match the 07 antenna harness. The antenna from the car is male and the plug in the 07 radio is a male, and were would I get something to convert this?

What is the major difference between the 05 and 07 radio as far as manufacturer features?

I noticed that on my 05 cobalt that the "i" button is located on the driver side dash close to the steering wheel and on the 07 radio the same 'i' button. Will one or both become inoperable, both operable or do I have / can I wire it to be one or the other (the 05 button placement is very awkward)

Are there wattage or amperage differences in the out put of these two radios given that they are two difference manufacturers?

Is it possible to get better Sat radio quality by plugging my rat radio unit into the AUX IF I can get this to work?

Here are my 05 cobalt specs:

2005 Chevy Cobalt LS w/ sports pkg
7 spkr pioneer audio w/ sub in trunk
4 dr

Here are the specs that the radio came from

2007 Chevy Cobalt LS w/ sports pkg
Pioneer audio w. sub in trunk
4dr

Both radios are of the single disc variety

If anyone thinks that this conversion can not be done 'safely' (NOT making my electrical systems FUBAR or anything drastic) let me know so I can resell the 07 radio.

Thanks and sorry for my n00bness...

See less See more
G
#4 · (Edited)
You know... I never even considered that as an option, I just assumed that someone in the Gm line would think "let's NOT make the two 'i' buttons look identical"... but maybe I'm the tard here...

ejronin added 1 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

i have my stock cd player, need that? :D
I figure I've already spent 80 bucks on the 07 model, why spend more on yet another stock unit... besides, I like the black tie radio look... but thanks (if it was indeed a serious question:cool:)

#7 · (Edited)
The first thing you need to know is that you are going to need schematics for both radio's, because as youve noticed the connectors arent even close to the same, they dont even have the same number of wires in each connector between the years, and if you purchased 07 connectors from the GM parts dept they are going to come with all the same color wires so they will be of np help(all the wires will be white or light grey. :) ) It doesnt matter if youve got the VIN from the car the radio came from, you need to have a dealer (or someone with an up to date Tech2) unlock the 07 radio. Once you install the radio in your 05 car its gonna lock. It is unlocked with the scan tool

Maven added 5 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Is your satellite radio the factory installed XM or do you have an aftermarket setup?

if its aftermarket, yes youll get a better sound quality if you use the AUX input instead of an FM modulator. If its the factory stuff, its already hardwired and is almost the best Sat sound you can get already

#8 ·
if the connectors are different, the wire colors are different, I sure wouldn't be doing all that work just for another POJ stock unit (IMO) I would be looking to get that stock junk out of there if you want to try an '08 i'll sell you mine! joking, that will be going back in when i sell the car.

(I don't mean to offend anyone who loves the stock stereo, to each their own. some people like to change motor mounts, i like to change stereos)

G
#10 ·
Well from what info I've found ont he net, the ohms ratings are the same on all wires between 05 and 07... and that the harness wire colors while not the same I've found a wiring diagram to do exactly what I'm looking to do.

I have read that dealers aren't going to want to unlock an 07 radio in an 05 and that even if they do, the steering whee functions and the radio buttons are either non functional or not what they're labeled to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.