Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m new to the group. My daughter has an 06 2.2 and it turned off on her. She was driving it and lights came on the dash and car turned off. Car would not turn over. So I replaced the alternator and the battery. Now it turns over but don’t start. I smell gas so I’m pretty sure it’s getting gas. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw on the forum possibly theft will need to be reset? When that is happening does it allow the car to turn over and just won’t start?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Can you have the car check for Check Engine Light (CEL) codes? Driving the car and it just dying would make me think fuel. Have someone crank the car and heck the fuel rail for leaks check under the car for fuel leaks. If you're smelling gas I'm thinking its not getting to the engine. A hot spot for leaks the fuel lines on the driver side near the rear axle beam. The lines like to rust and pour out fuel, but with out any DTCs, its hard to get a starting point. The ignition coil pack could have gone out, that could cause a no start condition. very unlikely that it is sparkplugs, that would usually just cause a miss fire for that cylinder. Take a look at those things and if you can get CEL DTCs post them back up.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
any update?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I have not had a chance to check it out since last time I spoke on the forum

·
Registered
241 Posts
Since it’s got the long one piece coil pack, you’ll have to remove it from the valve cover. Then to test the spark, turn the coil pack with the boots facing up with a spark plug attached to the boot and grounded with a length of wire to the strut tower. At least that’s the easier way I’ve found to test those. It also has a ignition module attached to the coil pack that sometimes goes bad.

Crankshaft position sensor can also cause sudden loss of spark.

Also make sure there’s no blown fuses I the under hood fuse box.

And you say you smell fuel? You really shouldn’t smell fuel on these cars. Unless you have removed the intake pipe or something and had a look into the throttle body. Fuel smell might mean a leak. Usually you’d know because as you turn the key on, the fuel pump primes and pressurizes the fuel system. Although I’d think if the leak was bad enough to cause the car to not run, you’d see fuel on the ground. Maybe not though. Occasionally the schrader valve may leak fuel and cause fuel smell under the hood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely will check fuses and take coil pack out. I replaced the coil pack about a year ago but could be bad again. I did have intake cover off while trying to start the car right after I had put the new ac compressor and alternator on as well as a new belt. There is no check engine light on.
I appreciate the direction! I don’t think it’s leaking fuel. I only smelled it that one time. Thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
That could work. The point being that they need to be grounded to make spark.

If you’ve got a multimeter, you can test the coil pack that way also. Taking the module off of it, you can test the pins in there. I think there are five. The middle pin is the one to test each time, while moving to each outer pin. Something like .6-.8 ohms is what you’re looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay thanks. I appreciate the help. Hopefully this week end I will be able to get to it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I’m new to the group. My daughter has an 06 2.2 and it turned off on her. She was driving it and lights came on the dash and car turned off. Car would not turn over. So I replaced the alternator and the battery. Now it turns over but don’t start. I smell gas so I’m pretty sure it’s getting gas. Any suggestions?
Do you hear the pump? I just found this site and had same issue alternator went out replaced no start heavy gas smell turns out pin 85 on the relay for fuel pump was reading 6.8 volts and it should be a ground. Fried the fuse box when the alternator was shorting out. Found a thread that had exact same symptoms as mine only he was getting 4 more volts than I. Tore mine open on a hope and to my amazement it was burnt EXACTLY like his same year and model as his. I smell recall GM 🙄

Here's link if you have voltage on pin 85 of fuel relay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts