Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at this point I feel like the little Dutch boy with my finger in the dam. First started with a rod knock, fixed that. Then bad spark plugs, replaced those, swapped out the injectors and a new fuel rail. Now the poor thing won't actually get combustion. It tries and the crank moves, the timing is good last I checked but after about 5-10seconds trying, all the lights begin flickering the battery drops below 9volts (seems to rest at roughly 8.2v) the continues for a couple seconds the everything shuts off and i just get a clicking from the starter. Any ideas or at least a place to start looking?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If the engine cranks over, AND you have fuel pressure in the fuel rail, then you need spark.
Since your 06 uses a wasted spark ignition module, I would check here.
they are known to fail internally and can become vey flaky before they completely fail. Expect the largest part of a $100 bill for a new replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the engine cranks over, AND you have fuel pressure in the fuel rail, then you need spark.
Since your 06 uses a wasted spark ignition module, I would check here.
they are known to fail internally and can become vey flaky before they completely fail. Expect the largest part of a $100 bill for a new replacement.
Awesome thank you. I'll give it a shot and will update with results

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take it into your dealer and have them check the PCM. My Saturn (same exact 2.0L LSJ and F35 trans) started doing that and it ended up being a faulty PCM. They should replace it under the extended emissions warranty if you're under 80K miles.

Go over to my old friends at cobaltss.net. They'd be glad to help, and have likely had this problem themselves. The 2006 Delta cars were turds. Mine has broken down 500 ways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take it into your dealer and have them check the PCM. My Saturn (same exact 2.0L LSJ and F35 trans) started doing that and it ended up being a faulty PCM. They should replace it under the extended emissions warranty if you're under 80K miles.

Go over to my old friends at cobaltss.net. They'd be glad to help, and have likely had this problem themselves. The 2006 Delta cars were turds. Mine has broken down 500 ways.
Oh okay, I have been hearing some horror stories that's for sure. I did end up replacing the spark module and it has started a couple times but it's extremely rough and dies only seconds later. It's also throwing new codes saying the bcm has gone haywire. Would a bad bcm cause it not to run right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts