Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 LS 2.2l 5-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me begin with one day the car just said no. She fired up and then quit. I was used to hearing my fuel pump prime and now i didn't hear that either. So began this wild hunt. first we chased down the lack of voltage to the fuel pump (which is still working when powered externally) and swapped the engine compartment fuse box without any luck. I then had to order a rebuilt ECU as we traced the voltage loss back further. Key relearn took and she fired up only to tease me and just shut off again, this time throwing a new code. Failure to communicate with the TCU.. so I sent it back and the replacement they sent me did the same thing. I could really use some insight here. I have never had much money and it was a blessing I was able to get this car in the first place. I just want to keep her going as long as i can. I mean she has already taken me out in the desert several times now, so i know she is a beast.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
MA'Halo

·
Registered
2006 LS 2.2l 5-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Well with a bit more tenacity we have got the beast running again,
The initial cause seems to be the old fuel pump. It was shorting out and once replaced the U1010 code disappeared and she runs smooth as butter.
However now i have no speedometer and no outside temp reading, we were able to see that they were in fact functioning, but the cluster was not picking up the signal. My best guess is that the second replacement ECU is not functioning properly.
Any insight is still greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hmmm. It appears we have a
Cool Hand Luke situation.....failure to communicate....

You need a good code scanner that can access ALL of your systems at the same time. Then post all of the codes from each module. Your original problem could have been dirty contacts on the BCM or poor grounds in the engine compartment,

Now without the pinpoint error codes everyone must guess where to start.

Please know, the signals to your dash come from the BCM, it gets the information from the various other modules in your car. These modules communicate over their private low speed or high speed lan. A dirty contact anywhere in the system can cause an upset.

So...post the problems and the codes before you swap out major system modules. Lots of data is lost once you swap out one and it only masks your original problem

·
Registered
2006 LS 2.2l 5-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@1966tbird

My mechanic had that fancy scanner. That is how we were able to see that both the temp sensor and the speedometer were actually functioning. also it is good to note There were no initial codes until the original ECU fried because of the fuel pump. as of now I don't have any codes pushing through, just no speedometer reading and no outside tempo reading.

I will be driving her around because i don't got anything else so, if anything else pops up ill post it.

·
Registered
2006 LS 2.2l 5-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alrighty looks like I'm getting a U101 for the MAF , two B codes on my basic reader. Also displaying power steering message, however the power steering is very much still working.

·
Registered
814 Posts
It seems you have lost your GM LAN in certain places. A scan with a TechII or later GM diagnostic tool or one of the more capable ODBII scanners with CAN buss capibilities could do.
This will show if all modules ARE or WERE talking and if any of them have errors that are active or logged.

Without it your just spitting into the wind asking why am I getting wet.

·
Registered
2006 LS 2.2l 5-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well unfortunately the only way i'm gonna get access to a Tech 2 is if I take it to the dealer and thats just not an option. As of now I am waiting on the ECU company to review the RMA and let me know what they want to do next.

Right now I can drive her in town, but i'm getting no speedometer reading, Im not gaining mileage, no outside temp reading. Funny though the tac is working fine, and I reset the Oil life which seems to be functioning.
From what I understand the tac and the oil life both use information received from the transmission to calculate then display.
Also If I drive her hard for a moment, something gets funny. If push in the clutch and go to neutral with the RPMs above 3k the engine will stall at the bottom of the spin down, then When you press the gas after shifting into 2-4 you get a strange 1-1.5 sec lag. Driving extremely softly negates this lag.
also literally everything else is working fine on the car. all lights, ect.

·
Registered
2006 LS 2.2l 5-Speed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait no, the oil life is calculated by overall engine run time which is probably getting signal from the crankshaft sensor.... Hmmm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts