Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought this cobalt last week, 06 ls 2.2 5speed. Ive run into some issues. Im trying to fix them one at a time. So it has some kind of HID conversion kit on it, but it only has low beams? Guy told me the high beams were more expensive or some bs. Anyways, low beams are bright, but I live in the country and I need high beams for the back roads home from school. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the high beams to work for the H.I.D.'s as well? I like the bright white light they give off so Id like to keep them and not just go back to stock 9007s.
Also, anyone having major rattle from bass? I think its my window crank that vibrating, any quick fix suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you are thinking he just bought a single low beam bulb and not the actual dual hi/lo beam 9007 bulb? So all I have to do is buy a 6000k HID Hi/Low bulb and replace them? I wont have to change anything? Any brand in particular that you would recommend? This is my first experience with HIDs.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are bulbs so expensive through the hid thread but on ebay 6000k hid hi/low beam bulbs are like cheap $20~$50?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Real "HID" (High Intensity Discharge) are not a filament bulb but and arc bulb. So Called HID bulbs on ebay are filament bulbs with a blue coating filtering yellow light giving it and HID look but not real HID bulbs. Real HID's come with a Ballast that converts 12Volt to a higher voltage to produce the arc necessary for light to emanate from the gas inside the glass tube, different gas produce different colour light.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Because they are cheap and not actually HID's just knock offs. Trust someone that has HIDs spend the $90 and be happy for a long time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the input! Now to check and see if I have real HID bulbs or just knock offs to start with lol

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Are these in your stock housing or are they retro fitted into different headlights?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You can also check this thread. I think there's over 500 post with all kinds of opinion pro's and con's.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/interior-exterior-styling/17264-official-hid-discussion-thread-56.html

Did the speedo App work?

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

I appreciate the input! Now to check and see if I have real HID bulbs or just knock offs to start with lol
If you have a ballast you have arc bulbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heres a pic of what i got.. couldnt get the bulbs, dont have my tools on me to take the headlight completely out, but from this pic what does it look like i have?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well that's the ballast there, so you probably have a single beam HID. Your going to need a dual HID if you want high low beam. Probably a complete kit. Hopefully the previous owner did not damage the housing. Or you can go back to 9007 halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think it was damaged. So I still have to buy a whole other kit? I couldn't use the setup I have and just change the bulb?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That's for the expert. I'm at the end of my knowledge. Hopefully somebody else will step in and answer the rest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.