Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys/gals,

First post, long time follower. So i inherited this GEM, 06 ls 4 spd auto 2.2l from my wife. It's had a few recalls done, including the power steer assist motor 3 times (don't get me started).I'm posting this thread because i have been doing the majority of the reg maintenance, and i noticed the last few oil changes that the used oil reeks like fuel. The plugs are only about 25k old, fuel pump was replaced from a service bulletin (bad leak) maybe 15k ago and the fuel filter has like 10k maybe. I use Lucas oil stabilizer and Valvoline hm 5w30. Maf has been cleaned many times, tb shines, air filter is new, ran the seafoam spray through the intake mani, and seafoam and lucas fuel through the tank many times. Can't figure it out. My guess it's either bad piston rings or sticking injectors. What say you?

Also, it's got 94k on the motor. Married into it at 63k in '11

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So say i run the compression test, and the piston rings are to blame- what are my options? I haven't done rings since 2009 on a 4g63 on an engine stand. How many hours would a job like that take a shop?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Well they'd have to pull the head, hone the walls, buy new rings. Would be smart to replace the timing chains and tensioner at those miles too. New head gasket and head studs required. New rod bolts required. New rod bearings recommended. New intake and exhaust manifold gaskets recommended. It will cost you over 1k easily at a dealer

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a hard enough time justifying spending $120 to replace the rear brake components. I'm just gonna run Lucas with each oil change until they become a real problem. I average 27.5 to 28.5 mpg presently

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Are you sure you're smelling gasoline? Take a tablespoon of it and try to light it with a torch. If it lights there's gas in the oil. If it doesn't you might just be smelling blowby contaminants and this is normal on and older engine. Are you using conventional oil, I assume you are.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't thought to try lighting it. As far as oil, i have been using high mileage synthetic blends since 75k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.