Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all - I apologize that my first post is a question but I will admit, I do not know much about cars!

Today while in Target grocery shopping, someone must have bumped into my car - there are no dents or dings or scratches but my right taillight (passenger size) the plastic is partially broken.

The place we usually go for maintenance for our car doesn't carry the part so told me to go get it from a dealer and they would put it in for us.

I am totally out of my element and don't even know where a Chevy dealer near me is! Obviously I'm going to go about fixing that issue after I finish writing this post, but I am just concerned - they couldn't give me a quote without a part. Is this an expensive part to replace? Is it an expensive repair job? If I call the dealer and tell them I need a part are they going to laugh at me for asking for a part and not a repair? (Or rather, will they laugh and tell me no? They can laugh all they want, hah.)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
They will tell you they have the set for $200ish dollars and you will pay out the nose to have it installed. Get some aftermarket ones for $80 through andys auto, rock auto, local used dealer, or some other co. It's only three bolts to fix if you have a coupe and I'm sure one more if you have a sedan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's sort of what I'm afraid of!

After you said that I googled taillight replacement (I have no idea why I didn't do that initially - panic, I guess!). I found this:

Which after watching and deciding that really doesn't look as frightening as I was worried it would be! I am not techy but ... I think I could do that.

2006 Chevy Cobalt Tail Lights (Taillights) at 1AAuto.com

When I poked around their website I found that - is buying online a bad idea for cars or is that not a huge issue?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
70% of my parts are from ebay or online retailers. There is a lot of legislation out there protecting you as an online buyer. Just make sure you use a paypal account and you will be ok.

If you want, post up the link to what you are thinking about buying and we can weigh in.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

If you cant install this light yourself with tools sitting around your house I will pay you $20!!!!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
$45 a pop on ebay, take the one from the whole saller so you dont end up with a scratched up one....
cobalt sedan taillight passenger | eBay

Dont be embarassed, thats why these forums exist. People have questions at all skill levels.

Feel free to ask any other questions, any time.

Oh, and all cobalt taillights are the same 05-10 for coupes and sedans.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You are welcome, thats what the forum is here for. Ask if you got more questions, even if you aren't sure how to change a light, we all started somewhere.

Welcome to the community by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you :) We've had our car for six years and never had any issues with it, but I'm glad to know this community is here!

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
6 years and no issue is great! I came in here not knowing jack squat either now i know a handful and still learning. I find it fun diving in to my car and doing all kinds of work to it, once you get familiar you will change those lights in 2 minutes.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

That video explains it perfectly, except for behind the liner i had a nut in there not that black part, wish i did, wouldn't be a pain in the ass to remove liken now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.