Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my I got in my car not too long ago and since it was getting hot outside I started my AC and all I got was hot air. I made sure it was set to cold and everything...still hot air. I tried changing the #10(I think) Fuse under the dash to no avail. Tried adding refrigerant...nothing. My father-in-law helped me drain the ac and repressurize/add oil/add new refrigerant thinking that would fix it...still hot air. The blower can be adjusted for more or less hot air, but it's like it's stuck on max heat.

Any ideas? I saw something online about checking behind the controls on the dash to see if there is a gear to fix, but there's not one that I can see from taking off the control unit. Is it positioned behind the Radio by chance? Not sure what else to check beyond here.

Please help, it's 105 outside... :crying:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't know much about the AC system, but it sounds like you've covered the basics. Maybe the compressor's gone out? @Coby7, do you know if there's a way to tell if the compressor needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can and hear the compressor come on so I don't think that's it. The lines are cold. Is there a vent area behind/under the dash that is closed so it only allows hot air through instead of the cold air?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes, when you move your rotary knob for the heat you should hear a blend door and the small hum of a motor turning. Also fans should come on when you switch AC. These motorized actuators are on the driver's side of the airbox and can be seen behind the radio. It's been known for these to break a shaft now and then. There's a do it yourself fix somewhere in here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, looked up some videos on the Blend Door Actuators and how to remove and install them...I came to the conclusion that I'm an idiot.

I went too find the 1st one under the driver's side and noticed a plug just hanging there above the pedal...*facepalm* Plugged it into the actuator and BAM, Cold Air!

Thanks for all the quick help guys, hopefully the replies will help someone else down the line. I'm just glad for me it was a simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.