Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let's start with yesterday. The car all of the sudden does a weird surge when ever I come to a stop. I have a exhaust leak and a new manifold so I put it on. I got cali edition so of course it didnt fit so I put old one back on and do a oil change. Starts and runs fine multiple times for hours minus alittle exhaust leak.

Fast forward to today. I go to start the car and it turns over properly for 2 or 3 seconds maybe clearing gas from line? Then it just starts whinning making a weird whinning noise.

What could it be?

Will post youtube video here in a minute

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hard to tell from the vid. How's your timing chain look?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulleys still turn when turning over so I know it's not broke. What's a tall tale sign that it's out of time??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like you’ve broken the timing chain, or the tensioner has gone bad and let the chain off the sprockets. Unfortunately what you have to do is remove the valve cover see if the camshafts are moving. Some engines it’s possible to open the oil filler cap and see the cams, but there is a baffle above the cams so you can’t see them through the cap. When the chain is broken or come off the sprockets, the crankshaft will turn with the starter. The belts on the outside of the engine will turn with it. But the camshafts will not move. If you’re unlucky you may also have valve damage from the piston hitting them because they aren’t moving with the crankshaft. A timing chain job on these engines is fairly expensive. The balance shaft chain, guides and other components should be changed at the same time along with the water pump.

It isn’t uncommon for the timing chain tension to go bad on these engines cause timing chain failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I took of the oil cap and took the extra spout piece and I shined a flashlight on that baffle and turned over the engine and I got reflections from the camshafts and can confirm they are spinning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts