Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 07 Cobalt LT has not really loose steering. The steering is tight, but sometimes driving down the road at low and high speeds it feels loose and I have to constantly adjust the steering wheel to keep the car on path.
Is there such a thing as calibrating the electric power steering sensors to set the electric power assist system up properly to original performance?
Refer to this link:
Straightening out GM electric power steering | Search Autoparts

I recently installed the following new components: Control Arms, Steering Gear Box(including inner tie rod ends), Intermediate Shaft, Tie Rod Ends, and stablizer bar links and stabilizer bar bushings. Had an alignment done after the new replacements were installed. The tires are new with < 4,000 miles on them balanced and I have no bent rims and no wheel bearing problems.

Any clarification or suggestions would be appreciated.:thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have kinda the same problem.
When I accelerate quickly and steering pulls to the right
And sometimes it's hard to turn the wheel.
( not hard but noticeable )

I'm interested on if I can fix this problem too

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
AZBY and JacksonWilder3,

I am sorry to hear you are having these concerns with your power steering. We can certainly look into this further for you. Please private message me your VIN so I can make sure you do not have any recalls associated with your VIN.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I already asked you if there was a recall on my cobalt, I appreciate though:)

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
JacksonWilder3,

I am so sorry! I am starting to remember everyone slowly but surely. ;)

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@09cobalt 2.2, ok, that's what I thought, but hopefully somebody post something about this to clarify.

@ChevyCustSvc, I can't PM you my vin, tried but said need 10 post before I can PM you.
I do have a my.chevrolet.com account though and on the "MANAGE MY CHEVROLET" page I can select "RECALLS" but it says no active recalls for my vin.
Thanks though, do you have a comment on my original post(below)?

My 07 Cobalt LT has not really loose steering. The steering is tight, but sometimes driving down the road at low and high speeds it feels loose and I have to constantly adjust the steering wheel to keep the car on path.
Is there such a thing as calibrating the electric power steering sensors to set the electric power assist system up properly to original performance?
Refer to this link:
Straightening out GM electric power steering | Search Autoparts

I recently installed the following new components: Control Arms, Steering Gear Box(including inner tie rod ends), Intermediate Shaft, Tie Rod Ends, and stablizer bar links and stabilizer bar bushings. Had an alignment done after the new replacements were installed. The tires are new with < 4,000 miles on them balanced and I have no bent rims and no wheel bearing problems.

Any clarification or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
When driving in a straight line is your steering wheel straight or slightly at an angle? Very important on an electric steering that the wheel be centered.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just found out today that my right strut is bent and leaning inward \ _\ like that
and right now it seems like it steers to the left. It just started doing this today, after a tire rotation. This is a second opinion from a tire shop I never been to before, that checked my alignment for free.
I am thinking there word is true, because the car was hit on the right side, before I bought it.

@Coby7, the steering wheel is straight centered on but there is play in center of steering wheel from left to right. The feel is turn left an inch or so and you feel it catch. Turn to center you feel a notch. Turn to right an inch or so and you feel it catch. That is the best way I can describe it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had the exact problem you are describing, turns out my engine and trans mount were shot, when I would accelerate, the engine/trans assembly would shift and pull the car to the right...I also noticed when i would let off the brakes at a stop sign, the wheel would jump right, changed the mounts, all is good in cobalt land

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@jignaczak All my engine and trans mounts are fine I have zero problems with those and no fluid leaks, to cause a deterioation of them either.
I plan on changing the strut assemblies and hopefully it will fix the problem. Thinking about getting these strut assemblies
AC DELCO Premium Gas Charged Assembly 903037RS More Information for ACDELCO 903037RS & 903036RS More Information for ACDELCO 903036RS
The only reason I think I should go with the strut assembly is to make installation easier, since the right passenger strut is bent I am thinking the coil spring might be deformed too. EDIT I shouldn't have though had problems with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replaced my struts and strut mounts this week.
Also, found that one of my steel wheels, on the front drivers side, had a fairly big dent in the inside of the rim that was probably causing some of my problems. Didn't ever think of checking the inside of the rims for bends. The former owner, really must have drove over bumpy roads all the time and/or hit a few deep pot holes. Now the car handles fairly well, and feels less bumpy.
Feels fairly firm.
I still need to go get a front end alignment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.