Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has purchased this car new 07 Cobalt 2 dr with a 2.2 engine, he has 69k miles on it 90 percent highway miles, back in the fall he was telling me there was a rumble type noise in the front, I took the car for a ride and it seemed to be a out of round tire, they were bad, I had the front end aligned and installed 2 snow used snow tires for the winter, they were balanced, it was alittle better, now he notices the passenger front tire is cupping bad on the inside, not sure if alighment or balance relates to this issue, but he wants me to take the car somewhere else for a alignment, he thinks the guy who did the alighnment in october did not do a good job, I can't say, he says the car at times wanders around on the highway, what can I look for, I have my own wheel balancer, should I check the balance. I have new tires on the rear, I was thinking of putting them on the front and take it for a spin and see if that helps, any suggestions

thanks
Chet

·
Registered
52 Posts
mine has a rumble noise as well (08 2door), it "sounds" like its comming from the passenger side.. i don't know if its wheel bearing getting bad, loose linkages or loose tranny mount... plz reply if you find a solution

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
getting some more info from my son, he says when he makes a right turn it is quiet, but when he makes a left turn is when there is a noise and it does not turn smooth, seems to wander a bit, if it is a wheel bearing, which one would it most likely be.

thanks
Chet

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have this problem on Both cars, My G5 and my girls Grand Am

almost sounds like you guys are looking at the wrong end of the car. My girl's 96 Grand Am was just in for two tires and an alignment, and has a rumbling noise too. Sounded like the front, but when you make a left turn it is not there... make a right and it gets louder than on the straights. Took it back to Goodyear, and they took it for a spin, and put it on the lift. The RR wheel was bent and the tire was out of round too....

Also my 07 G5 has the rumble too... and sometimes wander, when I make a Left the sound gets louder, and when I make a right, gets quiet. I KNOW FOR A FACT my LR is bent, noticed it when adjusting the rear brakes...

If it gets loud when turning a direction but not the other, think about it, Loud Right Turn, means a lot of the weight is being lifted off that RR and is allowing the rim and tire to bounce more causing more sound, a Loud Left turn like on my G5 means my LR is out of round...

As for the cupping, you got snow tires! Cheap pos's IMHO... If your wheels are straight, and the alignment is good, then nothing should be wrong unless it is a wheel bearing in which you wouldn't hear a rumbling, but a ticking or grinding. A rumbling means out of balance or round or FLAT spotted

Check your RIMS first before you go for alignment next, please. Bent rims are so often overlooked for problems.

Steven

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
If your tires are cupping, that could be a shock/strut that is bad. As for the noise, check your wheel bearings and ball joints to make sure all are in good condition.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Like theses guys suggested, check the ball joint. it would be a good idea to throw the car up on jackstands and and see if you can wiggle the tire. That'll show you if you have a bad wheel bearing or what not. It'll also help you pinpoint the cause of your issues.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If it gets loud when turning a direction but not the other, think about it, Loud Right Turn, means a lot of the weight is being lifted off that RR and is allowing the rim and tire to bounce more causing more sound, a Loud Left turn like on my G5 means my LR is out of round...
If it were a wheel bearing problem, the symptoms are the opposite of what you are saying. During a right turn, if you hear the noise (a grinding/howling), then it is your LF wheel bearing, because during that turn there is more weight/force/strain being applied to the left side of the car as it leans. The same goes for a left turn and applies to the RF wheel bearing.

Tire cupping is almost never attributable to a suspension problem. It is almost always cheap tire design. Most GM factory tires (especially on C/K vehicles) will cup within 20k miles.

Are you hearing or feeling a clunk or bumb in the steering while turning? The Cobalt has an awful intermediate steering shaft.

I highly doubt it is a balance issue if it has already been checked, but if you have the tools, feel free to use them.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
If it were a wheel bearing problem, the symptoms are the opposite of what you are saying. During a right turn, if you hear the noise (a grinding/howling), then it is your LF wheel bearing, because during that turn there is more weight/force/strain being applied to the left side of the car as it leans. The same goes for a left turn and applies to the RF wheel bearing.

Tire cupping is almost never attributable to a suspension problem. It is almost always cheap tire design. Most GM factory tires (especially on C/K vehicles) will cup within 20k miles.

Are you hearing or feeling a clunk or bumb in the steering while turning? The Cobalt has an awful intermediate steering shaft.

I highly doubt it is a balance issue if it has already been checked, but if you have the tools, feel free to use them.
I have to disagree. Tire cupping is commonly a result of loose suspension components, or a worn out shock or strut assembly. It can also be caused by a poor alignment or porrly balanced tire. Cupping is the hardest to diagnose because it has so many probably causes. It has almost nothing to do with the tires that GM chooses.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just had a problem that was like this. I had a rattle in the front end and my car wondered on the highway. I had to replace both right and left control arm bushings. I talked to a buddy of mine that works at a gm dealer and he said it is a very common problem with all cobalts. I would also check the wheel bearings

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I have to disagree. Tire cupping is commonly a result of loose suspension components, or a worn out shock or strut assembly. It can also be caused by a poor alignment or porrly balanced tire. Cupping is the hardest to diagnose because it has so many probably causes. It has almost nothing to do with the tires that GM chooses.
Agreed! Cupping is 95% of the time from a bad strut/shock not keeping the tire pressed back to the ground like I should, thus the tire "bounces" too much after a bump because the spring doesn't keep tension on it to keep the tire "down" so to speak. Cupping is often referred to as Scalloped.

And I am an ASE master tech, so I know a little bit:blink1::toung:

·
Registered
869 Posts
If that is true than I haven't seen much of it. I don't know how the cars I see could have poor shocks/struts at such low mileage we see cupping at. I know for a fact that the Dueler tires on new GM full size trucks/suv's cup quickly.

But then again it could be due to the awful Oklahoma roads.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Well, maybe that's a trait of the Dueler tire, but you can't lump assume it's all OEM Tires from GM haha.

Shocks wear out faster than you may think. The shocks on these cars don't fail because of low ride height. You can't destroy energy, only change it. A shock works by converting kinetic energy into heat. The shock was designed for a certain spring rate. When you put new springs on a car, you move outside the rate that the shock was designed to control. Therefore, at certain times, that shock will start to overheat because it's outside of it's intended control zone. When it overheats consistently, and on a regular basis, it fails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.