Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i had a timing chain break and it messed up everything, i replaced valeves pistons chains, and I feel i got it in time correctly. according to book,, but I tried to start it and now I get no fire in any plug, I get code P1682,, I cannot find any loose connections,, I have not put the belt on yet I just wanted to see if it would start before i did,, Is the belt required for it to fire?? or any advice on something that could cause this>

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like you are 360° out of sync. Are you sure your #1 piston was top dead center when you set your timing?

Serpentine belt has no effect on engine, it's just a needed parasitic load on the system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes, it was at the very top of cylinder head,, and the chain marks lined up at 10 and 2,, and 5,,

even if it is out of time, shouldnt some of the plugs fire randomly instead of no fire at all?

ill problably pull off timing cover again it just sucks doing it

is there a easy way to tell if the piston is at the top without having to pull off the head, its hard to see down the spark plug hole to judge..

thanks

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

wait now that i think of it,, is cylinder #1 on passenger side or drivers side,, i aligned the passenger side to top dead center.. which would be completley off

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
#1 is the first cylinder from the chain. Not only does it have to be top dead but also needs to be on the compression stroke. So both valves have to be closed. I usually stick a wooden dowel in the hole to feel for the top of the piston. You can then mark the dowel for reference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i got valve cover back off an timing cover i got it at tdc on cylinder 1 using a long wooden stick and a marker I got valves on correctly and set to right marks,,

I still get the same code and no sparks,

I read that the code could have something to do with the wiring,, i wonder if i could of messed something up from jump starting it alot since its been dead,,

is there a way to test the ecm, or do you know if autozone has a device that can do this,,

its getting fuel i can smell it after trying to start it under the hood

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nope! Should have power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so does this mean somewhere between the battery and the fuse i shorting, and a bad ecm wouldnt cause this?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you check the big fuse in the trunk?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sure did its good ,and the terminals to,, the fuses next to the ecm fuse show 12 v the ecm fuse show .04 if anything

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You may have burnt a trace on the underhood fuseblock. Especially the ECM fuse trace, it is particullarly small on the board and some members have had burn on them after boosting. One member here had good pictures of it and showed how he jumpered the break. I'd never be able to find it but if I do I will direct you to it.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

What do you know I found it. I got to buy a lottery ticket.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/92393-completely-stuck-new-pump-no-start-no-fuel-pressure.html

May not be your exact problem but maybe along those lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.