Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem when trying to start. It keeps trying then dies. Once tried a couple time it finally cranks but I smell gas. Changed the fuel filter and don’t see any leaks. Any ideas??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you happen to have a security light come on? If it’s having an issue it will cut spark. Have you checked fuel pressure yet. Even though it is getting fuel it would be important to know if it’s actually getting up to operating pressure. That’s where I’d start. If you have access to a good scanner, you can see if there’s a problem in the security or PATS system.

Also loss of crank shaft position signal can cause a no start condition. A lot of times this is a sudden problem with no warning signs. Also would have to have a scanner with the capability to view signal output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter thought that was it I’m going to be checking the crank shaft sensor tomorrow and it has not lights on it. I have checked on a mechanics scanner which has the new gm system on it and read nothing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looking at the pcm with a scanner, I would not be looking for just codes because there isn’t always going to be one set. I would look at output values on the sensors to see if they are correct or out of range.

Another non start issue I’ve run into with these cars has been a bad pcm. They do sometimes just all the sudden go bad internally. Not too often, but I have replaced a few on several Cobalts in the past. I know one was due to corrosion. I’m thinking it was a flood car.

I do know a problem in the ignition in the steering column can cause a fuel or spark cut out. It’ll crank but won’t start. Or may start for a second, then cause the engine to stall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See my girls it will eventually crank maybe after the second or third time sometimes once. But it does run after and we drive it. It’s our daily driver. After it takes maybe 2 or 3 times to crank we smell gas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Cobalt was doing this weird thing a few months back when it was cold where it would crank for longer than normal. And sometimes it would have to let off and recrank the engine to get it to start. Actually at that point I started using premium gas and I don’t think I’ve had the problem since. I know this car doesn’t even need high grade fuel, but it’s cheap right now and the car is pretty fuel efficient so I don’t have to fill it up often. So I’ve just kept using it. Whether is really keeping the internals clean or not, I can’t be completely sure. But I would think so.

Also have you replaced the spark plugs? If not that’s something I’d consider. Use some good ones like NGK. I’ve had the best luck with that brand. The G-power ones are good for the money and fairly cheap.

I sure wish my car had the 2.4, I only have the 2.2 which isn’t bad but I’d like a little more power. It’s at least a quicker car than my sister’s 2015 Civic which I was surprised at. No wonder these cars were so popular when they came out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts