Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. First off this is my girlfriends car. Its an 08 base model ls with a 2.2 liter ecotec. It has about 80k miles on it. I noticed it seemed low on power so I figured I would change the fuel filter, air flter and change the plugs. Well when I checked the air filter I figured I would look at the throttle body to see how gunked up it was. Sure enough it was gunked up. I also noticed it did not look like it was closed all the way so I tried to push it closed more. Sure enough it moved about a quarter of an inch till it was fully closed. I haent touched it yet due to horror stories about reflashing pcm and stuff cause I'm leaving for a vacation in that car here soon. My question is does it need to be replaced or just cleaned out and relearned where it needs to be for fully closed?? I ve searched everywhere and couldn't find a clear answer on my question. Also the car was off when I notcied that it wasn't closed fully.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Well, I'd remove it from the intake manifold and clean it with some carb/throttle body cleaner. That should work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I have seen a couple postings about this issue...I have had the same issue. I cleaned the throttle body out and ended up with a high idle.

There was another posting where someone had relearned the idle by holding the clutch half out in the manual and forcing the revs down to "normal" range. I tested said theory. Held the revs at about 750 for 2 mins. IT WORKED!!!!! I don't know if this would work in an auto or not, but I can confirm that for the manual this fixed my high idle issue.

Can we sticky this, or combine the high idle/throttle body cleaning posts, make the solutions easier for people to find?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yup, it so that when your car is in idle, you have a little bit of air going into your motor to keep it running. Closing it all the way is asking for trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.