Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a second hand 08 cobalt t and in the last2 months the front end has started creaking or grinding like rubber on metal or a bad bushing somewhere. There's 140k on the car. I'm thinking it may be strut mounts or control arm bushings. Am I in the right ball park on my assumption or is there another angle I'm missing? Also, my traction control and abs lights keep coming on at the same time randomly, then they go off. Connected issues or separate things? Any advice would help. This is the first chevy I've owned and I actually love the car. Just don't want her breaking on me with my kids in the car.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Cobalt LS 2.2 L61 300,000 miles and still going
10 Posts
Best suggestions I could give is have someone turn the wheel all the way left and right . While you look around and listen

Sounds like control arm bushings , tie rods , the list is endless..

·
Registered
494 Posts
The front lower control arms have a rear bushing that will go bad. With you’re mileage it is in high probability. Although this shouldn’t cause the traction control to come on. However if the control arm is moving enough it can cause the toe angle to change enough to make the front wheels read a different speed than the rear, causing the traction control to act up.

The front wheel bearing can also cause weird noises. If they’re worn out they may cause the speed sensor that is attached to read a different speed than the other wheels, causing the traction control to operate at the incorrect time. Again, at the mileage your car has, it could be fairly likely it’s time to replace one or more wheel hub assemblies/wheel bearings. If this is the case, it should set a code in the ABS. The code would be along the lines of saying improbable wheel speed or something like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Those answers make the most sense of anything I've come across. Thank you. I'll check for codes and replace wheel bearings and control arms. I'll respond again if I find any new issues. Thank you for your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts