Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm driving my car stays around 194-198...while idling, it went up to 220. I left my car idling in my drive way, popped the hood, and the radiator fan wasnt running. Would anyone have any idea on what might be going on with my car? It just started doing this, so if its bad, i want to catch it before it makes anything worse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should i keep an eye on it if it goes higher?
Its never done this before, I've only had it a little over a year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! I went out and did it, the fan kicked on with the ac.
I'm hoping this is just one of those moments where I never noticed the temp until now.
And I also really appreciate your help, I'm trying to learn as much as I can to do repairs on my own.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
All normal. Here are the specs.

The ECM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).

• After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The ECM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• ECT reaches 110°C (230°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).

• When certain DTCs set

When the request for fan activation is withdrawn, the fan may not turn OFF until the ignition switch is moved to the OFF position or the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 10 mph. This is to prevent a fan from cycling ON and OFF excessively at idle.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
and you are

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
yea, with both of my balts(technically had 3) when I idled and saw temps go above 190* I would hit the a/c to keep them around there. 200s and such may be normal but I do not like running hot. Learned my lesson with gm back in my cavalier days when the fan never came on till my temp gauge was in the red.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.