Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check out the new Cobalts and I was very dissapointed. The fit and finish has actually gotten worse, not better.
The carpet didn't even go all the way to the seat side rails, this was the way on at least 5 cars I looked at. The cheesy boot they put on the auto tranny shifter looks far worse than without it. The new ebony interior color looks cheap.
Couldn't GM come up with a better way to hook up Onstar than a visible thick wire running from the mirror into the header?

My '06 is put together better than this. There was no way I was going to trade in on a new car that Lordstown obviously couldn't give 2 shits about.
This is the same Plant that gets to put together the Cruze. I think GM is making a big mistake and I think GM should be ashamed of themselves putting out vehicles with such crappy build quality in 2009.
Disgraceful.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
that sucks, i didnt think the interior quality could get much worse.
i heard the same thing from my boss. he was looking for a good cheap car for his son in college. i recommended the cobalt. he said after looking at the interior he was done with the cobalt. GM isnt helping theirselves much are they.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it was so sad. I expected to find a car at least similar to my '06 and I was just shocked when I looked at the carpeting and when I pressed that piece of silver plastic across the dash it was loose to the touch (on all of them). The fabric on the seats were all crinkly and crappy looking. I even prefer the steering wheel on my Cobalt to what they have now. You have to see the boot around the shifter-it was so cheap looking I don't know what they were thinking.
I left there shaking my head. if the car was even slightly better than mine I probably would have taken one home. At this point I don't know what my next car will be-maybe the next Focus. I don't have high hopes for the Cruze and not sure I want to drive a car that sounds like The Village People named it!

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I have no complains about my interior except I wish ebony was offered for sedans before 09

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Grey doesn't look good with my whole interior theme. It would look retarded if I left as is, and made my door inserts blue.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually dont mind the design of the interior before the '09s. I think the boot around the shifter looks cheesy but maybe it can be removed and the fit and finish is actually worse now than my '06. Check them out, check out the fit and finish of the carpets, etc. If it looks OK to you then it is. I think the dash is fine, I just wasn't happy with the way it was put together.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow... I wonder if maybe a bad batch rolled off the assembly lines? When I was living in Connecticut a year ago, my roommate had an 05 Cobalt, and I thought the interior was hideous. I think the interior in my 09 is much much better. Of course I got a manual transmission and mine is a base LS with power nothing. Still, I thought it had improved over my old roomies car. I must say though, I drove it back to back against a Honda Civic and the Civic interior was a fair bit nicer. Id give the Honda a 9/10 (I just cant take that weird dash setup) and I'd give my Cobalt a 7.5/10. Hondas seats are slightly more comfy to me, but not amazingly so. The Cobalt manual shifter is way better in my opinion, although I think the Honda clutch feels a bit better. The biggest thing is the fabric, dash, and door materials still seems a bit "cheap" compared to the Honda, but again not awfully so. Oh, I love the Cobalts steering feel too. I think that *if* the Cruze is to the Cobalt what the Cobalt is to the Cavalier, GM would have a Honda killer.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Cruze has been reviewed in Europe and the handling is so-so and the engine is too weak. Supposedly the 1.4L turbo is supposed to take care of the power problem but I would rather have a DI 2.2L Ecotec than a turbo. Turbo's are problematic.
In addition if they don't do something about the handling the Cruze will be mid-pack, more of a match for the Corolla but without the reliability record. I think GM is heading towards another mediocre compact entry, with a wierd name and a new nameplate to market.
As an aside, the steering is the worst thing about my Cobalt. IMO.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GM's life depends on it. I was hoping with the Malibu, Traverse, and new Quinox that GM was going to go all out with the new Cobalt. Unfortunately it may not be the case, first the name change, then outsourcing design to Korea, then having the same torsion beam rear suspension, and now the tepid handling I am not very hopeful.
Personally I think the next Focus is going to be much better than the Cruze.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 09 is not like that except for the onstar wire.....it does pass behind the mirror where you can see it. I did not notice until you said that, but it does not bother me. In fact for $13k I am satisfied. Now If I paid anything near the MSRP of 18k I would be pissed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The carpet issue bothers me more, but both are a sign of a lack of attention to detail and a lack of caring on the part of the Lordstown Plant. The fact that the Cruze is still going to be built in a Plant where workers and management don't give a rats ass about the cars they build does not bode well for GM, IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its the union. Ditch the union so workers have to work to get there money and raises. It will promote harder working people that have attention to detail and quality to get better pay and keep there job. Not get paid 65k a year to sweep factory floors and if you do a bad job at it they lay you off, then you still get paid your union wages to sit at home. What is the incentive to work hard? Why would I make sure the carpet is all the way center and in track in that monte carlo when I get paid the same and will get the same raise next year....as long as I stay at this job in 15 years I will be making 89k a year and have no skills in all reality.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.