Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and in in need of some help.
my 2009 cobalt (LS 4 door) started shifting hard from 1st gear to 2nd. this only happens when I'm at a stopped light and drive off and when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it shifts hard that the you can feel the pull.
any advise what could it be. I would really appreciate.
its my daily driver car and its automatic transmission. the car has 176xxx miles. i just hope my transmission its not going out.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
When did you flush the tranny fluid and replace the filter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has never been done to my knowledge.
the dealer says it has a sealed transmission therefore the transmission fluid is lifetime.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Your dealer is a dumb a$$

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

I'll bet you are a quart or two low

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can i just add the quart myself or will i have to take it to the dealer.
i know the fill hole has a cap. do i just remove it and try to put the fluid in there?
or are there any specials tools needed??
thanks

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Where do you think there is a fill cap for your tranny fluid? I've never seen an auto?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That is a vent cap, hold on let me find the thread for checking your fluid. Pretty sure that's not your problem though.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/transmission/28236-check-plug-location-2008-cobalt.html

Did you check the "TCM" fuse? Pull it out of the slot to check it if it's good, check tabs for corrosion, flip 180° and re-install. If this doesn't solve it check the "TCM" ground strap (G105) on the transmission case front of engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Any DTCs? No DTCs means it isn't engine related, like sensors and such.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OK, check fuse first, also might want to check for transmission oil cooling lines make sure they haven't leaked, then your ground then I would go get the transmission fluid level checked if all these fail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the cobalt stopped doing the hard shift for a few days. and then it came back. i checked the fuse its still ok. they are no leaks. nothing.
so my thing might be low fluid.
any thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well fluid didn't go up for a few days then go back down. You might have a bad TCM ground. Pull the TCM fuse and check if this causes the same symtoms if it does than you most likely have an intermittent ground wire. Then if you have good wire with alligator clips ground the case of the "TCM" and take it out for a spin. If problem disappears you know you have a bad ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i have checked the tcm fuse the ground wire and its still doing the hard shift.

it was fine all last week and today it started doing it again.
what ive notice it only does it when im coming to work and when im off of work it runs fine.
idk what the deal is here.
and i dont want go to the stealership lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you remove the fuse to check it? Sometimes the fuse tabs corrode and just removing or replacing the fuse corrects the electrical path.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.