Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 cobalt lt with the ecotec engine. The engine is missing and knocking pretty bad. It will only stay idling a couple minutes. It had codes 010 and 017 so I changed the cam position sensor and crankshaft position sensor with no change in engine function. Im curious if the engine misfiring can cause it to knock profusely or not and is there any special steps I should have took after the sensor changes. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not real familiar with with all the sensors and locations. I replaced the cam sensor on the exhaust side on the rear of the engine and the crank sensor. Is the cam solenoid the two on top of engine on passenger side and can that possibly cause the engine to miss and knock. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its quite a bit. I even unhooked coil packs on each cylinder one at a time to see if there was any change in the knock to try and eliminate maybe a rod knock. No change in the sound of the knock. I havent changed either of the solenoids though. I have checked to make sure each cylinder was firing and I checked fuel pressure at the rail and all that was good. I changed the oil right off the bat also because I know it hadnt been changed in a while but there wasnt any debris in the oil or discoloration just really black. The filter was pretty nasty though. Are those solenoids something I can clean or just need to replace. I hope this info helps a little.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about what kind of knock it really is. Will that cause it not to idle. What is the easiest check for this method. I just know its knocking. There was nothing in the oil I checked it twice for any debris in the oil. I could probably tell more about the knock if I could get it to idle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What a piece of crap cars are now a days...
I want my older car back that has very little if any of this computer junk on it....totally useless computer junk...
Starting to not like buying such a new car....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im with ya Megatron. Im not familiar with this computer stuff either. Should I replace one or both Banker? I appreciate the advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you check the Oil for metal filings. Don't think cam actuators can make an engine knock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used to have a hand me down Chrysler K Car wagon with a 2.2 4 cylinder and it spun a bearing. And that thang sounded like someone was shaking a cardboard box with a screwdriver bouncing around in it. LOL. Now thats a knock. Ha!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah Coby I checked the oil twice for debris and couldnt find any. Im hoping thats a good sign. When it does start it just misfires like crazy and has that knock. Im gonna take those solenoids out and clean them cause it looks like our parts store is gonna have to order them. Any thoughts on taking them out and cleaning them Banker or Coby?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Never heard of cleaning them. But I'm still not convinced this is causing your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im really not sure of what the problem is either but Im working on it. Took both solenoids out and the screens were super stopped up so I cleaned them as good as could be expected and I havent hooked the battery back up yet to clear codes. Im getting ready to check it right now. Coby any advice is well appreciated and that goes for you too Banker.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Sounded ten times better but still had knock but whatever it just gave out cause it died and locked up to no turnover just clicks. I guess the next step is to pull valve cover and see if anything there is causing problems. Any suggestions?????

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Really sounds like you spun a crank bearing. Did you ever run it low on Oil?.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not that I know of. I know it had went awhile between oil changes. What should I do next? Pull oil pan or valve cover????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.