Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 cobalt LT.

2.2 LAP NU6 VVT ecotech 8th digit of vin is an "H".

The motor is needing rebuilt or replaced, from searching the forum and google the 2009-2010 2.2 is only interchangeable with the same year model.. im just going to replace.

my question is, are there any other things i need to know on which motor will work for my car. Or is it all 2009-2010 2.2 ecotech motors regardless of emissions or anything.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think you should be okay with any LAP engine (that's the 09-10 2.2l you mentioned), but I'm not 100% sure what the difference was on the California version of the Cobalt. It may have had some extra emissions components, such as a second cat after the O2 sensor.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Any 2.2 ecotec with dual cam actuator will work. whether it be from a G5, HHR or saturn ION.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Someone on an Ecotec Facebook page just explained the California differences today.

"Secondary air pump on the motor by oil pan and another port in the head for the emissions above the exhaust manifold."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Oklahoma. I just need a motor that will work. I could care less about the emmisions bs. I did a compression test and 3 cylinders where bad, has gotten hot, and head gasket leak, timing chain rattling around. I figured its cheaper and easier to just replace motor with warranty from a salvage. Found one for $450 with 70k on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
OK? Parthros is in that area of Tejas around OKC.

If your getting an engine complete get one that matches your car or you WILL have problems with the BCM, PCM and if automatic, TCM getting them matched to your car. That is unless you have a GM programmer such as a Tech2.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
1966tbird for the first time I caught you!!! All these computers don't care what engine is under the hood. If it's a replacement engine and meets the 2 actuator criteria it should start right up and the relearn should all be integrated within 20 minutes of driving. It may stall a few times and hick-up during this time but the ECM is smart enough to relearn the new engine. Of course if you want it to run perfect immediately then you will have to do the TechII relearn procedures for Throttle body and crank position sensors. In my opinion, I would just take it for a 20 minutes ride. This also helps in identifying other possible problems. Oh don't forget to do a few full throttle pulls, this helps the ECM to set the top RPM limit. Try to hit to rev limiter at least once.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Coby7. Your absolutely right!! I agree with you completely.

I just worry about Silvy taking a Calif smog car pulling the smog pump and dropping in a non calif engine. Firing it up and getting crank position sensor error. Then getting low air pump flow error and chasing those two errors down while the engine sputters and idles ar 2000 rpm as Silty scratches his head and starts to plame the PCM based on an Autozone code scanner. Then ends up getting a used PCM or BCM that locks up due to different VIN.
Finaly trying to figure out how to turn off the mil light due to Calif bad air pump, that was not reconnected, because it is not used in Oklahoma.

All of those subttle little oops that you have shared here on yourcobalt.
Now, knowing what we have learned from you, we can look forward to using the Tech2 and doing a throttle possition sensor, crank position sensor, and possibly a VVP / cam position relearn then trying delete the Cali air pump.

Oh, BTW I wonder, does the non air pump Cobalt take a different PCM calibration file? ? ? I dont know.

One good thing though, he does not need to worry about upgrading his cam chain tensioner on the 09

And please excuse me and do correct me with my flagrent misuse of ECM vs PCM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.