Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my 01 prius for an 09 cobalt. It had 184,000 miles and ran great but I decided to trade it in on something newer. The first thing that impressed me was the fuel mileage of the 08 and newer cobalts. The prius did get good mpg at 44, but after reading on here it seemed some people could get their mileage in the 40s too and I was sold. Not to mention that the cobalt won't require a battery replacement in the future and doesn't have all the added engineering of the hybrid system.
My 09 so far has impressed. It kicks ass on the highway, at 75 I am positive the cobalt would get better mileage than a prius. It has a little over 35,000 and is the base model I am guessing with the 5spd. I think I will take the car into the gm dealer since it has a few more miles of bumper to bumper. It does have an odd rattle coming from the steering column when going over bumps sometimes. It only does it when you go straight, if you turn the wheel over the same bumps the rattle goes away.
I guess if anything the prius taught me how to drive a car more mpg friendly. In some spots of the road where I thought I had this huge advantage in the prius I can coast in neutral with the cobalt and maintain speed. No need to rely on a battery. Right now I am getting 35 mpg, driving it only to work and around town these past few days.
I hope to put many years of service on the car and take care of it like a baby. Really it doesn't seem like it needs much maintenance, spark plugs at 100,000, change the antifreeze at 150,000 or 5 years, and change the oil every 3000. It doesn't even mention timing belt service, I am guess it has a chain instead. Good times.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You don't need to change the oil every 3000. There is a gauge in the DIC and when it gets around 10%, it is a good idea to prepare for or schedule an oil change. It is neat, saves you money, and actually works.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'd go it around the 30-40% mark, But glad to hear you upgraded from the prius. now we just need to see pics of it! lol

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the purchase. I think you will like this ride a lot better than your old one. Except in the city the XFE can match the mpg of the Prius.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Welcome, I myself got away from Toyotas as well...love the Cobalt so much more than my corolla and camry

·
Registered
435 Posts
I get around 24-28 city, 30 something mixed mpg. I have a 2010 auto 2.2 LAP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far

Almost all around town mileage, 34 mpg now with short trips to work. Figured out how to reset the oil change reminder (the oil was changed right before I got it and they didn't reset it. I managed to put a little dent in the bumper as I slowly rolled into a car with a real bumper behind me pulling out of a parking spot.
I will probably change the oil with synthetic when I change it for the first time. Other than the steering column thing I love this car, so smooth and it needs such little gas to get going even with low rpms. Now I see the new Cruze doesn't even get as good a highway mileage. Why did they stop making these cars?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.