Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 LT will not go into park so I cannot get the key out without pressing the release button in the steering column. I have to manually release the shifter inside to shift into neutral to start the car. What is the probelm?

·
Registered
156 Posts
With the key in the run position, are the brake lights working. If they aren’t, it would indicate the brake light switch not working and also can contribute to the solenoid inside the shifter not allowing the car into park. The pedal must be depressed to make the solenoid work to release the pin that keeps the shifter from coming out or into park. Also I don’t think the cruise control will work either, brake light switch has to be in working order and not shorted.

If the lights are working, the next thing I’d figure would likely be bad is the solenoid inside the shifter. In that case the entire shifter would need to be replaced. There is a little piece inside the shifter under the console that can be moved to release the shifter into and out of park. The console has to be removed to access it. And you’d have to drive around with the console removed. This has been a common problem on these cars. You will have to replace the shifter assembly to fix it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
also when you step on the break pedal you should feel a slight click in the shifter. That clcik is the solenoid allowing you shift out of park. I could feel in my automatic HHR SS, same trans mission and same shifter.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
any update?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts