Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 g5 with a blown engine and a 09 cobalt with a good engine has been wrecked, will the 09 work in 08, what problems will I run into. Both have 2.2 but the 08 has 5 speed tho 09 is auto thanks for any help

·
Registered
21 Posts
The big issue you'll run into and have to deal with is VVT, which was introduced in 2009. May be helpful to browse the forum and see if anyone's documented such a swap.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Are you wanting to keep the 5 speed or switch the auto over as well? Either way as long as you swap the appropriate harnesses and computers as well it shouldn't be an issue. Would probably be easier to keep the car a 5 speed though, just swap engine and harness and pcm although the pcm may need to be tuned from an auto to a manual. You would keep the exhaust and motor and trans mounts from the 5 speed car if you went that route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does these years cars have LAN cables that run between all the modules and have the vin no programmed in them. If so would I have to change trans, body, on star modules etc. so they would all have same vin no. My 2012 malibu is that way and when I rebuilt it I had to use new modules

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You may have to swap the bcm and onstar as well, I'm not sure on that. But since you have both cars anyways it shouldn't be a big deal

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think you will find that the later built 08s and the 08 Sports has VVT so that is a standard option for an 08.
If you have a Tech II or one that is available just swapping out the ECU/PC will work.
You will need to BOND the new ECU(09) to YOUR BCM(08). Search this forum on how to..
OTOH, you could load your ECU(08) with the file form VVT. That file would come from GM for a nominal fee and a big hassle.
Check with Coby7 to confirm but you should find your BCM contains the info for auto or standard and would interface to the TCM if it is an automatic transmission or clutch peddle for standard.
No need to mess with onstar since it’s located under the rear package tray and yes almost everything in the 08 is tied to the gm LAN including time pressure/door locks, radio, bla.bla,Black

·
Registered
505 Posts
Btw
Doesn’t the 09 Cobalt come with hands free and blu-tooth module next to the blondstar module on the package tray? A neet way to add features if you don’t already have it.
Along with the hands free phone mic in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you will find that the later built 08s and the 08 Sports has VVT so that is a standard option for an 08.
If you have a Tech II or one that is available just swapping out the ECU/PC will work.
You will need to BOND the new ECU(09) to YOUR BCM(08). Search this forum on how to..
OTOH, you could load your ECU(08) with the file form VVT. That file would come from GM for a nominal fee and a big hassle.
Check with Coby7 to confirm but you should find your BCM contains the info for auto or standard and would interface to the TCM if it is an automatic transmission or clutch peddle for standard.
No need to mess with onstar since it’s located under the rear package tray and yes almost everything in the 08 is tied to the gm LAN including time pressure/door locks, radio, bla.bla,Black
I just picked up th 09 charged up the battery and drove it off trailer, think it's got a bad rod bearing from the sound of it. It does not have on star on it. The dates from my 08 and this 09 is only a month apart but the vin says the 09 is a LAP and the 08 is a L61. So if they both had VVT couldn't I just swap the motors or would the sensors get me. And can't find any thing about BOND the ecu

·
Registered
505 Posts
A bad rod bearing does not make for a good 09 engine. It might be rebuildable, but...
VVT was available on late model 08s is not the same as saying an 08 L61 has VVT.
LAPs have VVT; dual cam phasor solinoides vs one. This info and operating program is programmed into the ECU. Both 08 & 09 use the same ECUs but may require different programs. BTW, the late model Cobalts with factory turbocharger used the same ECU.

About “bond the ECU”. Now I might be incorrect about this but it is Part of the Cobalt’s theft deterrent system. The ECU, tcm, radio, BCM, tire pressure monitor, remote key fob, and ignition key are all parts of the system.
If you replace one, it needs to be rematched to the system.
This is controlled by the TPMS module and BCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A bad rod bearing does not make for a good 09 engine. It might be rebuildable, but...
VVT was available on late model 08s is not the same as saying an 08 L61 has VVT.
LAPs have VVT; dual cam phasor solinoides vs one. This info and operating program is programmed into the ECU. Both 08 & 09 use the same ECUs but may require different programs. BTW, the late model Cobalts with factory turbocharger used the same ECU.

About “bond the ECU”. Now I might be incorrect about this but it is Part of the Cobalt’s theft deterrent system. The ECU, tcm, radio, BCM, tire pressure monitor, remote key fob, and ignition key are all parts of the system.
If you replace one, it needs to be rematched to the system.
This is controlled by the TPMS module and BCM.
Sorry I missed typed it is the 08 that is bad the 09 is a low millage salvage that was bought for body parts and has a good engine. I rebuilt a chevy a while and was told once the ECM ,BCM etc was programmed with the vin it could not be changed to a differant car. So I had to buy a new on for the car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can swap the ECM and reprogram....it is a bit more challenging swapping out the BCM.
Think of it like reprogramming the BIOS on your home computer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts