Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my subwoofers decided they had enough and just blew on me.

I had two 10 inch single coil subs and im looking to save a little room in my trunk (gotta lug around hockey bags).

So i was thinking about buying a 10 inch Kicker Solo Baric L5.

Everyone that has one tells me they are amazing and im looking for something to kick but not blow my trunk off.

I have a 800 watt amp now and i figured thats more than enough to power the sub and then some...

I also found a Solo Baric for a resonable price already in a ported box.

Is this a good idea or waste of money?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
what kind of amp do you have?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly i dont know Haha i just know it says 800 watt on it and i only have it half way up and its loud.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well it depends on the power that it puts out at the ohm level recommended for the sub

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
oh, sorry i forgot to put that lol. it'll work no matter what. but if you under power it then it wont sound its fullest. if you can put at least 300 watts out at 4ohm then you're good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea it can definetly do that i guess what im trying to see is if a solo baric is as good as everyone says it is?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well im not a fan of kicker. but they're pretty good subs i guess. i can't say i would buy them for the price because i pretty much advertise JBL lol. i mean...one ten for $250? no way. mine only cost me $180

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea thats true i dont know ive heard alot of good things and im tryin to get something that will punch out alot of power with out taking up alot of room you know?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i totally understand ya. you want good power, but not for a huge price. and you want to save some space. kicker does make some decent subs...i've just never been a huge fan. i love my jbl p1022's...but they take up a massive bit of room. just make sure that you get the right size box for that kicker so you dont burn out a coil.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea well im gana buy them already in a ported box so that way i dont have to worry about measuring and such... im thinking of ordering them tomorow so im glad that your helping me

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
yeah, and go ahead and turn the gain alllll the way down before you hook it up. then turn up the gain slowly at the maximum volume you'll listen at *not all the way up* when you hear distortion...turn it back a tad bit. that should tune it pretty well...better to be under than over and blow a sub.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea thats true thanks i probibly would have messed something up and do you think if my bass is to loud i will eventually need to change door speakers and stuff like that? i changed my head unit but i kept the stock speakers and it sounds fine

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well i couldnt hear the words in my car for a while, but i didnt wanna turn the bass down. you could be fine with the stock speakers, but it doesnt hurt to upgrade. i did a full upgrade...got pricey but i love it. full component speakers, and alpine 6x9's. then i had to buy an amp. you could always upgrade stock speakers for decent coaxial speakers tho that way you wont need an amp

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i want it to sound good but not too expensive you know? but i just learned with my subs blowing that you get what you pay for... i might change out my door speakers but when installing them do i need any special brackets or mod the existing brackets in any way?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
um...well i didnt actually fool with my doors myself because i did the components but i noticed that the shop that installed them took the brackets off actually. i wouldnt think you'd have to mod them

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh ok well i have done pretty much everything with my dad but how much were they to install?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
it varies per shop. idk the exact price because i got A LOT done at once. paid the man $680 cash...lots of install labor

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i saved alot on install labor...me and my dad installed my headunit, led's, amp, everything so im sure we could figure it out=] ive heard in other posts that adding another amp to power to doors and 6x9s would make them louder?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
definitely would. but if you're going to do that...might as well go component speakers. i fell in love with my stereo as soon as i heard it all mesh together. the tweeters, mid bass, and subs all separate...ahhhh

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.