Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight guys. Im just getting ready to sell my yzf400 and plan on getting $1500 bucks out of it. Now I want to put it into my motor i have a 2005 cobalt 2.2. Im a body guy and dont know much more than the basics of the motor. my car looks good already (pics to come) but i just need a little more motor out of the old girl. I already have a catback exhaust. And the old girls got 70,000 on her already so im not afraid to tear into the motor i figured if im going to spend 1500 on it i might as well go a little deeper than a cold air intake and header.

My cousin is a really good mechanic but he's a v8 guy he can do it all but he said i should get some suggestions first.

so anything will help.

help me spend my money.

much appreciated.

Marcus

(Fast Inc.)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
do as you wish, but i suggest turbo charge, and internals. You will get alot more power then.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Go for stronger internals and if you dont have the money to boost it yet at least you have the internals to with hold the power when your ready

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
AEM has a piggyback tune that will let you get the basics done and have your car handle the power safely

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Stronger rods , pistons, springs, retainers, cams, cam gears, valves and the AEM piggyback is a lil over $300 so all of those are a good start

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
forged pistons, port and polish, crankshaft/camshaft, valves, valve keepers, pulleys.............

lots of things, basically rebuild bottom/top ends

the first two i suggested are pretty well the main parts to get for a turbo motor

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
also depending on the size of turbo a decent size turbo can run up to $800 alone

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
would the stonger internals make it faster of just stronger to hold boost.

sorry i know stupid questoin
DO NOT do internals unless you are 100% certain you are going to boost. about 90% of 2.2 owners plan on turboing one day but do you know how many do? Maybe 1% of that 90. A good portion of ppl that do turbo never even end up touching there internals unless they are boosting really high.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aight i just talked to my cousin an we are going turbo. Just like you said daman he said lets just turbo it and run about 7 psi or so. I've already got 70000 plus miles on it and if i pop it ill just rebuild stronger but he said 7 psi is safe on 2.2 ecotech.

So its off the the junk yard on saturday to pick up the turbo i found.

we are going to build the whole kit from scratch so if anyone has any suggestoins let me know

Marcus
(Fast Inc.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no nos the turbo will be enough. i just found out that my turbo i bought for $30 off a saab 9.3 was completly rebuild by michigan turbo likd 6,000 miles ago

·
Registered
575 Posts
What are you using for fuel management? Even at 7 psi low boost, you WILL need some fuel management source. All that new incoming air with no extra fuel..bad idea. You need to look at higher flowing injectors, a fuel pump, a FMU, plus what are you going to tune it with, umm lets see I could go on and on..what bbolt pattern is the flange? Internally wastegated or externally? Have you looked at the compressor maps on the saab turbo? What are you doing for exaust? I would do a little more research before buying anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
oo trust me i'm not diving into this thing head first i'm doing all my research. Im going with the AEM fuel and ignition controller made for the 2.2's and running an external waste gate with a boost controller. Im going to change injectors to prolly SS/SC injectors. and run a fuel pressure regulator. For my exhaust im going to run just a dump pipe, prolly side dump it. All my cold air side is going to be a universal kit with an intercooler. I'll probalbly have ZZ performance out of grand rapids michigan tune it. I talked to one of there techs the other day and he said if i get it close on my lap top he should have no problem tunning it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
That sounds like a good plan actually man.... Obv your gonna have to go with a larger exhaust...ciameter wise 3" is ideal for boost and you should be safe at 8 psi...and a front mount would look sexy on the front end of a cobalt ... mmm

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thank god fro someone who does their research!!! haha I hate seing people mess up their cars. Just watching out but I'm def glad you got ur head on your shoulders to research your project. Keep me posted on the prices of your parts PM me to keep me updated. I'm gonna start looking into the same project soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.