Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats everyones opinion on wheel size. Im pretty fixed on this certain style of wheel like, but i hear things bout putting 17s on my g5 thats its gonna suck my 0 60. Whats everyones opinion?

R

·
0 Posts
I have 18's on my Ls and i love them. A larger wheel allows for a wider tire and better contact patch. Better contact patch = better traction.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you notice a dip in your 0-60?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The only way your 0-60 time would be affected would be if you get too large a tire on 17" rims. Check with the company that provides the wheels you want and ask them what size tire you need to keep the tire diameter the same -- or close to the same. If you end up with a "SLIGHTLY" smaller diameter tire overall maybe you'll pick up a 10th of a second. Also, the 17" wheels will probably be lighter then 15" steelies so that will help since you will have a little less weight to turn.

Remember going to a larger size wheel (rim) at the same time you get a tire with shorter sidewall the overall diameter will stay nearly the same.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have 18's on my Ls and i love them. A larger wheel allows for a wider tire and better contact patch. Better contact patch = better traction.
Yeah but the LS Cobalt only has like 150hp stock...not really gonna spin tires unless you're trying or launching hard.

BlackBalt added 1 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

The only way your 0-60 time would be affected would be if you get too large a tire on 17" rims. Check with the company that provides the wheels you want and ask them what size tire you need to keep the tire diameter the same -- or close to the same. If you end up with a "SLIGHTLY" smaller diameter tire overall maybe you'll pick up a 10th of a second. Also, the 17" wheels will probably be lighter then 15" steelies so that will help since you will have a little less weight to turn.

Remember going to a larger size wheel (rim) at the same time you get a tire with shorter sidewall the overall diameter will stay nearly the same.
How is that? Lower weight wheels are easier to accelerate...same idea as a lightweight flywheel. Stock 15's steelies weight like 17-18 lbs, pretty light...most aftermarket 17's aren't that light unless they're low pressure cast shotpeened or forged which would allow them to use less material.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
How is that? Lower weight wheels are easier to accelerate...same idea as a lightweight flywheel. Stock 15's steelies weight like 17-18 lbs, pretty light...most aftermarket 17's aren't that light unless they're low pressure cast shotpeened or forged which would allow them to use less material.
Not difficult to find 18 lb aluminum wheels, and the shorter sidewall tires can provide a little more weight savings. Primarily the ratio isn't affected as much by a bigger rim since the shorter tire just makes it nearly the same overall diameter.

S

·
0 Posts
honestly any time you are going up in wheel size it's all about looks. I wouldn't go any larger than 17's... b/c 18's are heavy for sure

personally... if I could ditch these 18's I would.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have weighed the stock steel without a tire before, it was 15 lbs. The only 17" wheel I have found that even comes close to that are Motegi Tracklights (14 lbs). Everything else that is marked as a "light weight" wheel and weighs 18 to 20 lbs if not more. Also most 17" tires weigh a few lbs more than the stock 15's but I have found BFG G-force sports only weigh about a pound more each. That combined with the pound savings on the Tracklight means you have a 17x7 wheel and tire combo that weighs about the same as stock 15x6's. Next month The Tracklights are going to pry bout $1600 out of my wallet and look damn good doing it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
to give u an idea Mine are 17's and they way 19lbs a piece so roughly a pound over stock. I don't notice a difference at all but traction and the ride is better.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to give u an idea Mine are 17's and they way 19lbs a piece so roughly a pound over stock. I don't notice a difference at all but traction and the ride is better.
Thanks gibson. Thats part of what im looking for, but wouldnt the extra inches on the wheels give you a slower take off time, not just really weight, but to get the bigger wheel spinning vs the stock steelies.

I guess what im asking is would it take longer to get a set of 17's rolling vs a set of 15s?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guy I know with an sti had 18s on his and absolutely hated them cuz he said they didnt handle well and he moved down to a 17 and said he'll never go back to 18s

·
Registered
79 Posts
There was a article on this awhile back in sport compact i think... track wise they were running better times with 15's but i don't remember the specific details. I would say if you could get some 15's wider than the steelies go for it because the bigger wheel is mostly for look

·
Registered
135 Posts
There was a article on this awhile back in sport compact i think... track wise they were running better times with 15's but i don't remember the specific details. I would say if you could get some 15's wider than the steelies go for it because the bigger wheel is mostly for look
True, bigger wheels do tend to fill up a wheel well. But with proper wheel and tire choice you can get the best of both worlds. Most road race cars run lower profile tires simply because it improves the responsiveness of the car by reducing the sidewall flex. Like all things however there is a limit, 17" wheels are the typical breaking point for the rule bigger is better.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks gibson. Thats part of what im looking for, but wouldnt the extra inches on the wheels give you a slower take off time, not just really weight, but to get the bigger wheel spinning vs the stock steelies.

I guess what im asking is would it take longer to get a set of 17's rolling vs a set of 15s?
Yes, common sense wise a larger rim takes longer to make a rotation so acceleration could be slower IF the weight is more or the same. Same goes for a smaller diameter (not that you wanna go smaller) they would spin faster and accelerate quicker if they weigh less. Now, I kno my wheels slow me down a little bit. Stock contis and steelies I believe weigh in the 17 lb range. My tegis' and tires weigh 19lbs. however, my ride is vastly improved. think about it this way, You have better traction with bigger tires. the old adage is 1lb of rotating mass taken away = .01 in the quarter mile and 100lbs taken away = .01 in the quater mile. This is an approximation only. Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally Posted by Montecarloman:
True, bigger wheels do tend to fill up a wheel well. But with proper wheel and tire choice you can get the best of both worlds. Most road race cars run lower profile tires simply because it improves the responsiveness of the car by reducing the sidewall flex. Like all things however there is a limit, 17" wheels are the typical breaking point for the rule bigger is better.
I agree low profile better response makes sense im just saying that was the point of the article most people don't realize that 15" have an advantage if, i find the issue ill provide more info

·
Registered
575 Posts
Gotcha. I know I would rather ave my rims than 15's because 1. My car looks wayyyy sweeter haha, 2. the Ride quality is improved drastically, and 3. Traction is improved

·
Registered
79 Posts
oh yeah me 2. 15's are a little too small for me looks wise there barely noticeable

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.