Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Cobalt LT. I noticed a couple months ago how I had to put gas in my car more and more frequently. It was time for an oil change so I figured that was the cause. Now it went from around 28.9 mpg to 16.1 and its dropping by the week! Ive changed the air filter and keep my tires inflated so I need some help. I'm in high school so I don't exactly have a lot of money to throw gas in my car, any advice??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If it's cold and doing city driving it's going to drink gas like a hobo under a punctured whiskey barrel.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
But 16? I get better than that with racing. Maybe a clogged fuel filter or a dirty maf/tb?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
There would be black smoke and you would get emission codes all over the place. OP didn't mention any codes. Maybe he started filling up with E85 crap.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
fuel system cleaner sounds like it's in the works, along with an air Filter. Buy Sea Foam and a K&N Drop in filter and you should see those go back up.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Welcome btw! :)

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

There would be black smoke and you would get emission codes all over the place. OP didn't mention any codes. Maybe he started filling up with E85 crap.
notice his sn says Chevy_girl? LOL, maybe she filled with e85 lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
He meaning the OP, don't know OP's gender. Maybe he calls his Cobalt his Chevy Girl. Until OP identifies it's gender I'm staying on the neutral side.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
LOL! Touché!

·
Registered
152 Posts
If it were my vehicle I would throw my scan tool on it and check it out. Check for codes, view live data, check fuel trims, sensor values, and O2 signal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a very good fuel treatment on the market if you can find it where you are. It is made by a company called BG and the product is called 44K. It is so powerful that it is not sold at jobbers and you have to find an actual BG rep. They only recommend running it every 24k miles, it is too strong to run any more than that. They also sell the best oil additive on the market called MOA. Go to bgfindashop.com to see if you can get it. I have run both religiously since I owned the car at 30,000 and I am up to 80 now and average out at 35. Get 37 to 40+ on the highway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright everyone I am in fact a girl :p But my MPG is now at 15.5. Ive tried Seafoam and it hasnt made a bit of difference. I have a new fuel filter to put in it but havent changed it yet. I do mainly drive in the city but this summer I was getting 28.9 MPG and driving in the city.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your cobalt is an 09 there isn't really a fuel filter. Its more of less just a little screen inside the tank. Kind of a crummy idea if you ask me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Someone at O'Reilly's told me that....not sure though. All I know is that it was doing great one day then it just started to slowly decrease week by week. Now its at 15.5 and it only raises about 2mpg or so when I travel longer distances.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
How low is running low a lot? And at what frequency?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Someone at O'Reilly's told me that....not sure though. All I know is that it was doing great one day then it just started to slowly decrease week by week. Now its at 15.5 and it only raises about 2mpg or so when I travel longer distances.
There is a good fuel logbook on; Missouri Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Missouri

This is the best way to keep track of your fuel consumption. Make sure you don't have a check engine light on because your Cobalt will fall on default settings and it will be hard on gas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.