Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
t depends on the conditions of the road in your state, i ran 17's w/ 205/40R-17's for a week and they got bent here in wv, if the roads are satifactory enough, go with bigger ones, this is what 17's look like without lowering...HUGE GAP

·
Registered
547 Posts
Go with 18's, I had 17's lowered and then switched to 18's, I should have went with 18's to begin with.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah I have 17s on mine right now...
Theres a gap but I plan on lowering so that will be taken care of

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I'm gonna do 18s.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
I have 18's, but I say go with 17's. You'll be happier with the lower tire prices. The tires I want for mine well cost close to 850 and the same tires for my friends mazda with 17's are only like 600!
^^^What he said!^^^

There is a big difference in tire prices! I'm glad I have 17's!

·
Registered
653 Posts
t depends on the conditions of the road in your state, i ran 17's w/ 205/40R-17's for a week and they got bent here in wv, if the roads are satifactory enough, go with bigger ones, this is what 17's look like without lowering...HUGE GAP

Honestly this is not a realistic picture, your tire is F***ing tiny! Its smaller than the stock rim/tires that come on some cobalts. If you would have gotten a better choice in tire, 1. your tire would have had more sidewall 2. your rim would have had better protection 3. your wheel gap would not have been so large. 17's and 18's would bend just as bad as each other, your tire is what makes the actual decision. Here in MN we have plows cutting into the road all day everyday. Snow removal causes some of the worst potholes. Yet we have plenty of people running rims. I had 22's on my trailblazer, I had 17's 18's and eventually 20's on my low rider pick up. I just made a smart choice with tires.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yeah...those do look awfully low profile...

I mean...these are stock 18s...I think it's a 45 series tire...

40 on a 17 is too small...shoulda been a 50 series.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Stock 17s on the SS/NA is actually a 55! Wow.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yep. That'll do it.

I think I'll end up with a 225/45-R18 when I get my rims...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
mine are stock 18s ant they looks good, I had 17 before and i had gap but with 18 the gap is smaller - will lower my car in future tho
I say 18

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Not always the case. My 18" Drag-33's weigh close to 5lbs less than the stock 17's. Not much of a difference but any weight reduction helps.
Especially since it's rotational mass.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.