Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I have a 2008 G5 GT and Cobalt SS, both with factory 17's and 4 wheel discs. The factory 16's have a taller tire making up the difference between the 16 and 17 inch rims with the stock Pirellis. Overall height is very close so no speedo issues.
The BIG question I have is.... will the factory 5 bolt 16's directly bolt on to a factory 17 incher car equipped with the 4 wheel disc set up.. as far as offset and clearance as all 16's have rear drum brakes. Before an investment, I need to know, without a doubt.
Am looking into this for winter weather purposes.

Thanks to all!!!
GTO 1

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
I would say to try them on ur car first if you can. Otherwise clearance issue bumper and such wise shouldn't be a problem, but with the back wheels correct me if i am wrong, but you might just have a little bit of extra screw length to play with, that is about it, otherwise normally rims are just general. For example, you can take an aftermarket rim off of a civic and put it on ur cobalt with no problems as long as it has the same bolt pattern and u have no clearance issue when turning or in the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yes, they will. My cobalt was running a 16" wheel factory from GM as a winter rim, on a 17" 5 lug pattern set-up found on the SS/NA. It doesnt matter about the drum/disc set-up in the rear, because the most concern is with the front brakes. As far aas I know, the SS/NA and the lower models with the 16" rims and drum set-up, have the same diameter front rotors and offset for the wheels. Go ahead and get them, they'll be fine
-----Added 22 Oct 2008 at 10:46:33-----
I would say to try them on ur car first if you can. Otherwise clearance issue bumper and such wise shouldn't be a problem, but with the back wheels correct me if i am wrong, but you might just have a little bit of extra screw length to play with, that is about it, otherwise normally rims are just general. For example, you can take an aftermarket rim off of a civic and put it on ur cobalt with no problems as long as it has the same bolt pattern and u have no clearance issue when turning or in the wheel well.
You would be wrong there! The bolt pattern is one factor. Offset plays a role in it too, because even if the pattern is right, if the wheel hits the caliper, you arent going anywhere!

Another factor between them is the dimension of the lug pattern, and how many lugs. Of course, if it doesnt bolt up, it wont work!

Clearance is the third factor. Again, it doesnt clear, it wont roll!

And the last factor, albeit the most important, I will give someone $10 to find a Rim from a Civic that will fit the Cobalt's bolt pattern, be it 4 or 5 lug, with the dimensions to clear on BOTH cars, lol

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You would be wrong there! The bolt pattern is one factor. Offset plays a role in it too, because even if the pattern is right, if the wheel hits the caliper, you arent going anywhere!

Another factor between them is the dimension of the lug pattern, and how many lugs. Of course, if it doesnt bolt up, it wont work!

And the last factor, albeit the most important, I will give someone $10 to find a Rim from a Civic that will fit the Cobalt's bolt pattern, be it 4 or 5 lug, with the dimensions to clear on BOTH cars, lol

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts

I was refering to an aftermarket rim, sorry

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was refering to an aftermarket rim, sorry
it's ok bro......i tried measuring up a 2008 Civic Si for the aftermarkets on my Cobalt, and they are totally off

·
Registered
57 Posts
not to sound like a prick, butt trying to put a 4 lug rim on a 5 lug hub or vise versa is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
not to sound like a prick, butt trying to put a 4 lug rim on a 5 lug hub or vise versa is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
You obviously dont realize, there is a such thing as a 16" 5 lug rim...........

They also do have the hub conversion so you can mount the 5 lug rims on a factory 4 lug car

P.S. The OP said he had an SS and a GT, Both come with the 5 lug pattern......

P.P.S. I had an SS with a 16" 5 lug winter rim on it, so i KNOW it will work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.