Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive recently reset the gauge ive driven about 1000 miles now and averaging 18 mpg this seems extremly low for a 4 cylinder i own a 06 ls coupe auto with 109000 miles on it

only thing is im about 300 miles from oil change being due but still,

18MPG?! this is insane

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Have you replaced anything yet? I was getting pretty bad mpg until I changed my air filter, spark plugs, sea foamed it, oil change, etc. I would recommend changing these things if you havent already.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Fuel filter should be replaced too.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe want to remove the brick you call your foot off of the gas pedal. Kidding aside what is your average speed at. Check DIC if it's over 30mph you definitely have a problem but if it's close to 20mph then you must spend a lot of time idling and stopped at lights or in traffic. Maintenance should help, if you don't have a check engine light on. If you have a CEL check codes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just recently put a injen intake on, will be changing oil in the next week or so, if that doesnt help i will try spark plugs and seafoam i suppose my average speed is at like 24 i believe

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well, you can't get good gas mileage if you spend all your time stuck in traffic, that's for sure. If you want to know if you have a problem for sure take it out on a 10 mile stretch of highway and reset the average meter then put it on cruise at 60 mph and average should read over 30 mpg. If you still get 19 you do have a problem for sure.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I was rocking about 19 mpg until I did everything and got a new fuel pump and filter and broke those in. Definitely see what you mpg is reset cruising at 60 because if its reading 30 plus then that just means your driving your car hard or stuck in traffic a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was getting 26-28 hwy couldnt figure out why mpg never change at all from city to hwy. found out the my intake camshaft actuator was bad. not mpg jumped to 33 and getting better

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an aftermarket intake and iridium plugs on my 06 SS/SC

Im averaging 8.7L/100km which equates to roughly 27/28mpg...

Not bad for forced induction and a 5-speed! (driving like a grandpa most of the time helps, lol.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm getting 38 mpg average, doing the math the old fashion way at each fill up, though my DIC says 34. on another note, I live between Milwaukee and Green Bay in Wisconsin, drive to Rockford Illinois twice a month to visit my daughter, always fill up down there, not to mention it is .20 gallon cheaper, but my car runs better it seems on that gas as well! All fuel pumps here say 10% ethanol, no mention on Illinois pumps....they have ethanol?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm getting 38 mpg average, doing the math the old fashion way at each fill up, though my DIC says 34. on another note, I live between Milwaukee and Green Bay in Wisconsin, drive to Rockford Illinois twice a month to visit my daughter, always fill up down there, not to mention it is .20 gallon cheaper, but my car runs better it seems on that gas as well! All fuel pumps here say 10% ethanol, no mention on Illinois pumps....they have ethanol?
Envious of that mileage! haha I'm about to replace the spark plugs and see what mine can do afterwords. Already replaced the fuel filter, air filter, sea foamed it, among other maintenance tasks. I'm running around 26 on average with me peaking at about 30-31 on the highway over distance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.