Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting readings of 190 for my water temp through scan Gauge 2. Is this safe or a sign my intercooler pump is not operational?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey man seems like we are having the same concerns again.

I just posted mine under the thread by 'fosterone' about his 2007 running hot.

I think you're asking the same question. But not sure by what you mean 'scan gage 2' and I don't have the intercooler.

I am concerned b/c mine got up to 216* today and the fan didn't come on. Just trying to see if that's normal. Seems pretty hot to me. And when does the over-heat light come on? Searched for an answer but no luck.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Fan does not come on till rediculous reading, flip the a/c on when it goes up, that kicks on the fans. I know 2.2 and maybe 2.4's normal temps are between 187-195 depending on weather conditions. I had a couple of 2.2's and hated the fan not kicking on till very high temps. My Supercharged ran at 178-80, anytime it got up till around 190, usually while idling/sitting in slow traffic I would just hit the a/c and it'd go back down. I would say its normal but there could be something wrong if you are driving with fresh air coming in and its still reading high.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reassuring input..

A ScanGauge 2 is a very.....limited OBD2 device. Displays RPM, HPR ect ect. Also get's Codes and Can clear them as well. I may let mine go if your interested in the basics. Not good if your looking for A/F ratio's

·
Registered
297 Posts
Stole this from .net:

This should answer your Question.

The ECM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).

• After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The ECM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• ECT reaches 110°C (230°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).

• When certain DTCs set

When the request for fan activation is withdrawn, the fan may not turn OFF until the ignition switch is moved to the OFF position or the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 10 mph. This is to prevent a fan from cycling ON and OFF excessively at idle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.