Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting another car so I can work on my cobalt. My friend's dad has this acclaim with a 2.5l non-turbo with an auto transmission. He stopped driving it because it started over heating one day about 3-4 years ago. Been parked since then. No oil/coolant mixing, not using coolant. He pulled the t-stat out and he said it still over heated. He thinks it dropped # 3 clyinder. I heard it run tonight for about 2 mins and it sounded fine, but i'll be checking it out better tomorrow. Its rust free. he bought another motor about 2 years ago at my buddies junk yard but never picked it up, but the motor is still there sitting in a shed. I can get the motor... So worse case scenario I switch the motors...

Any ideas whats wrong with the current motor? I've never really messed with Chrysler...

I can get it for $400.00. Everything.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
400 dollars and all that labor for a $500 car. Take the $400 and put it in the bank and save for a running car with no issues. Sounds like way too many issues that would burn up a majority of your free time to enjoy a sound running car.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Well, if you just want a car as a second car- dont do it.. (Unless you have the time/experience/tools to mess with it).

If you actually want it because you find it appealing, go for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
coolant temp sensor, usually like 50 dollars or so and it looks kinda like a o2 sensor but usually near the top front of the engine

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
^Unless he has my problem, spending too much you'd be lucky to come out even haha. Different story for me though lolz. I would set a budget though man, cause it sucks dumping money into a car that isn't technically worth it. I coulda got a decent used car for what i put into my rebuild, though alot was not me faults, my dad shopped for me alittle and that is what ran my bill up. Had I known what he was buying and for how much before hand(I paid it all back as agreed) I woulda stopped the build and just went and bought a 2nd car.

But eh, yours just sounds like a simple fix, find out the overheating problem and if still a problem, you have another motor already, so woot!

·
Registered
931 Posts
speaking from experience... (my boys big into chrysler fwd 4 bangers..) NOT WORTH YOUR TIME!!! those 2.2/2.5s are J U N K .. if there not leaking massive amounts of oild from the valve cover... then there burning it threw the grappy pistion rig setup... not worthit man... not by a long shot

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I am sure you can find a running car in your area for about 400-500 that requires minmal to no work and you may be able to make it look good and make money on it. That acclaim is not popular and does not have any resale. Find a popluar car for a second car, that way when it comes time to sell, you do not have a leper that noone wants.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I bought my first car I got a 94 Beretta for $600 and it ran great for a year (totaled in crash). I'd find something that just runs great as is so you dont have to waste your time fixing something just to drive so you can work on your balt.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True.... I found a 1989 crown vic wagon for $250.00 that runs and drives and has next to nothing for rust. Getting it and then going to demo derby it after the cobalt is fixed up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.