Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

How should I wire up my DRLs to my 1st Gen's?

• Halo's and LED on DRL circuit

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Turn signal bulb on DRL Circuit

• No DRLs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, like the poll says, should I wire up the DRL to the First Gen Headlights?
The DRL is the Low voltage High Beam lights and I found out that one of the brown wires is associated with the DRL, so I'd just have to splice in a relay to the brown wire to wire in my Halo's and LED's to that, or just splice it into my Turn signals. So, what do you guys think?

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
Well if you have hids you should keep the drl pulled so you dont lose the warranty on your hids

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
so i was messing around with that headlight harness today, that brown wire you say is the DRL wire is incorrect. It is one of the wires for the turn signals. The DRL signal comes from beyond that harness probably all the way back into the ECU/PCM of the car

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an 07, there are three wires that run to the stock headlight bulbs... the high beam wire, the low beam wire, the ground... but on the harness itself I have the high beam, low beam, parking light, turn signal, ground, and an extra brown wire (which only has power if the fuse is in)

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
ok before the harness how many wires do you have going into it??? I have 5 I have the low beam high beam ground parking light and turn signal

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok before the harness how many wires do you have going into it??? I have 5 I have the low beam high beam ground parking light and turn signal
Not to sound rude, but if you read my last post, I have the same as you with an Extra Brown wire... so Six, and as far as I can tell on my harnesses, that sixth wire ties into the high beam side of the head light harness on the lights...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i had gen 1 lights and didnt touch my drl fuse.my hids use to be on during the day all the time. than it stopped and they only went on wen it gets dark. thats how it is now with my gen 4's idk if the fuse blew or what but idc bc i liek them being off during the day and automaticaly turn on when it gets dark.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as soon as it is daylight... but you gotta realize too, that 90% of all the "base" G5's came set up like an LT2 Balt, everything is there for the add ons, it just needs to be bought. I'm not sure what level balt your's is camo (especially since you modded it so nicely) but it is hard to get decent answers from the balt world because of this extra wiring all over my car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so yeah, you probably don't have as much of a mess of wiring under your dash and hood as I do, I swear I have enough empty plugs connected to my harness under the dash to make a whole new harness, and the hood is no different, in my fuse panel there I have fuses in there for cruise, abs, fogs, and IC pump... and relays there too, and I don't even have those options... its weird, it is like all they did was take an LT2 balt and put a pontiac front clip on and rear clip... The only options my car had was P/w, P/l, Keyless, A/C and stereo with cd/mp3/aux. also had the armrest and black interior.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
hey as long as your talking bout wiring to any of you know this (ive been looking for answers) sorry for threadjack, but i will have similar issues tongiht as to which wire to hook my halos up to.

but which wire is high, low, and ground on our harnesses? i assume the middle one is ground but im not 100% sure.. anyone know?

& to the OP.. i have the same 6 wires your talking about too so your not alone lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
most halo's come with the headlight harness plug and play, the halo's and led's are tapped into a ground and a power source on the harness. I had them just tapped into the running lights, a brown wire to the turn signal, and the black ground wire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.