Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my SS, and it is my first manual tranny. A few days after I got it, took it to a back road and tried it out. Shifting from 1st to 2nd I'd chirp the tires from torque, but now, regardless of how hard I try, they don't chirp or even spin. Did I **** it up already, or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
its how you drive. I can chirp the tires in mine if I want to when going from 1st to 2nd. theres no real benefit to it though

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah when I first got my SS I'd chirp them from 1st to 2nd... me thinks its because going from first to second I rev a lot higher than any other gear ratio and then I shift to second when first is at like 3k and the engine spins the tires going to second....

but now that I've learned how to drive stick I have the rpms drop a lot lower before shifting because I'm used to the small gap from 1-2 grearing...

but again...thats what I THINK... lol

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
You just broke it in or the ground is colder than before
Colder or warmer? The warmer the tires are the better they grab (for the most part). When it's cold outside, I can spin all the way through 3rd and part of 4th with no traction, but I can't do that when it's warm. I can only do 1st and 2nd and part of 3rd.

Now, to the OP, chirping your tires also depends on how fast your shifting, dumping the clutch, how high the rpms are. If you have an SS, I'm almost positive you can chirp/spin the tires in second if you go to almost redline, slam into second and dump the clutch without letting the RPM's fall more then 200, they'll light up, that is unless your clutch is slipping REALLY bad lol. Do you get a lot of clutch slippage?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably, this is my first manual and lets just say I'm still getting the hang of it...especially when I'm trying to do it fast..ahem. Neutral likes my gearstick, let's just leave it at that.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
lol! You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly though! lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I found it easier to chirp with the L61/F23 combination rather than the LSJ/F35 combination. Primarily because flooring it hard enough in first to get the momentum to get the chirp from second usually results in the wheels breaking loose in the SS.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
^^You could always gently get it up in the RPM's then shift fast and floor second. Sometimes that works. But for me, I find 3rd is much easier to chirp than 2nd lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.