Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I need answered ,because I just came across a 2.0 motor complete with a S/C and everything minus the alternator($250) it had a seeper head gasket leak. Now my question is, are the 2 motors basically the same as far as where the intake bolts up to the block ? Because if so, I would really like to put this setup in my 04 Cavi, as far as tuning and the bigger injectors and alky injection, that stuff I have a handle on as I already have a blown Tiburon with a built motor at 27 psi with an MP90 on it. When I say that I have a complete motor I mean it has everything the stg 2 injectors and pulley are even still on the thing, I dont think that I'll keep the stg 2 pulley on it because of the difference in compression between the 2 motors, but any input on this would be greatly appreciated:bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The motors are pretty much the exact same. The 2.0 is just a destroked 2.2. I am unsure what you are asking exactly. Are you doing a motor swap? or are you just wanting to use the supercharger?

·
Registered
720 Posts
What he's asking is if he can put the S/C on his Cavi. Is the 04 Ecotec the L61? If so, then yes, you can. I'm not sure how the space is under the hood in an 04 Cavi though....is there going to be clearance for everything?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
What he's asking is if he can put the S/C on his Cavi. Is the 04 Ecotec the L61? If so, then yes, you can. I'm not sure how the space is under the hood in an 04 Cavi though....is there going to be clearance for everything?
i dont think its an L61. but im sure i heard about someone doing it. i could be wrong. but i think its possible. but im not going to claim to know how to do it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's why I'm stating if it's an L61, then it's a definite yes to bolting up engine wise...if not, then I have no clue (may be possible still).

Didn't they make a S/C kit for the Cav/Sunfire for the Ecotec years? I know someone locally just sold his for a couple grand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why I'm stating if it's an L61, then it's a definite yes to bolting up engine wise...if not, then I have no clue (may be possible still).

Didn't they make a S/C kit for the Cav/Sunfire for the Ecotec years? I know someone locally just sold his for a couple grand.
07cobalt ..I think you might be right as far as the L61....as far as clearance issues that would be a minor mod , and yes Id like to just swap the whole supercahrger platform on to the motor. Now as for the fact that the SS balt uses the MAP fore and aft that's an easy fix as I can just use a MAP Ecu II for this application to control both the fuel and the timing(it's a real easy setup). I saw a Centerfugal V-9 style blower setup for the car but, I just am a real big fan of the roots style blowers because of predictability and it's a much easier Daily driver situation with the roots also so that I can run on 91 oct fuel all the time :blink1:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The motors are pretty much the exact same. The 2.0 is just a destroked 2.2. I am unsure what you are asking exactly. Are you doing a motor swap? or are you just wanting to use the supercharger?
As I kinda touched in the first reply, yeah I'd really like to put this directly to the 2.2.........but in the mean time pull the 2.0 apart and go ahead and replace the pistons with some slightly better forged Ross pistons, as for the bottom end I really dont think I'm gonna need to do anything better than a stock bottom end, I just dont see myself makin this going anywhere past 300whp when I'm done, cuz with a fwd it's not a power issue anymore, it becomes an extreme traction issue. Plus it has to stay a daily driver or the wife will cut me off at the lower pass<yikes>. Now the other question is who do we deal with as far as modded throttlebodies ?I've read a bout a 1000 different different sites , but I like hands on feed back better.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I can't remember which one, but one of the LSx TB's will work on an SC setup I believe...LS4 maybe?

EDIT: Did a quick search on CSS.net and it appears some people think the LS4 is too big and not needed...they suggest just porting the stock piece. Tuning issues are the big problem with the LS4 it looks like...too much fine tuning is required and I think most of those LSJ guys use HP Tuners. Trifecta might be able to work around that a bit easier...not sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, the sc can go on the cavi, gm used to sell it as the gmpp kit for the cavi, local buddy had one and it worked just fine
Thx Tom and 07.......Trifecta? Seems I've heard that in the GM circles before, think they migh have a handle on a S/C tune? Or would that be a question to give them direct?Yeah the Tb issue I'm gonna have to address first as mines not fly by wire like the SS, but that shouldnt be a real big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.